Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, there apparently still are sources for "spare" plastic car keys. AAA is also supposed to have made them for members, in some offices on request. Of course a plastic key won't have the security chip so it won't engage the starter and might not disengage the security system...but it would get you inside the car, where a real key might be carefully stashed. Not a big help for a rental car, but something worth looking into for your own.

Good find. Please let us know the results of the pressure test. That thing looks like a similar but more economical solution to a PLB canister, such as the Custom Divers canister I mentioned in my first reply.
I took it to my buddy at Malibu Scuba Repair and put it in the pressure tester he uses for dive watches and computers after battery changes. It leaked like crazy at 100 ft. BUT, he looked at it, changed the position of the o-ring and retested to 150 feet and it stayed bone dry after 10 minutes. Depth confirmed with a dive watch in the tester, pictures attached The delrin container comes with the o-ring at the end of the threads on the female cap. We moved it to the end of the threads on the male base - as you would expect with a dive light. The delrin container is really solid and exceptionally well made for the price. I ordered another one I was so impressed.

I reported this back to County Comm earlier today (Sunday), and within minutes got a reply back from the owner the design team will look at improvements for the next revision. So highly responsive customer service besides great product for the price

Attachments

• IMG_20171021_122700.jpg
    IMG_20171021_122700.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20171021_123402.jpg
    IMG_20171021_123402.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 146
That Titaner wouldn't hold any car key fob on this planet. Meant for PILLS and CR123 batteries, no way any fob would fit in it.

I'm guessing that's an Otterbox 1000 clone. Although Otterbox no longer makes the old boxes, they sold off the molding to some other folks. I have one, and I trust it at sea level, but there's just too much seal area for me to feel comfortable taking an expensive key fob ($200-300 to replace one, maybe plus another $150 to reprogram the car for it?) down under pressure in it. Even the simplest, most robust o-ring seals eventually leak. Big ones in "rectangular" lids? More so.

I'm guessing that's an Otterbox 1000 clone. Although Otterbox no longer makes the old boxes, they sold off the molding to some other folks....

Yeah, I was recently shopping for a water-resistant case for some other items and found that Otterbox--the company that was known for those "boxes"--no longer makes the boxes and now seems to be solely in the business of making cases for phones, etc. I was really disappointed, as I liked Otterbox's products. I guess I will stop improperly using the brand name "Otterbox" generically to refer to water-resistant cases and start (equally improperly) referring to them as Pelican cases. Pelican now seems to be the only company making such cases. I bought a Pelican case.

The Mares Dry Box (like an Otterbox) and Personal Dry Box (egg) are interesting.
My computer must be on the "b" list though. I found the egg at Mares--but there are no reviews of it yet, indicating it is new and unpopular and untested perhaps--and the first US web site where I found it, had no technical specs (like size or depth rating) but curiously said WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO SHIP THIS TO YOUR COUNTRY. Hmm, that would be...the same country they are in, the US of A.

Almost sounds like the electronics industry, advertising things that don't exist, to see if there will be a market for them before they start making them. And it looked so reasonable!

The Mares Dry Box (like an Otterbox) and Personal Dry Box (egg) are interesting.
My computer must be on the "b" list though. I found the egg at Mares--but there are no reviews of it yet, indicating it is new and unpopular and untested perhaps--and the first US web site where I found it, had no technical specs (like size or depth rating) but curiously said WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO SHIP THIS TO YOUR COUNTRY. Hmm, that would be...the same country they are in, the US of A.

Almost sounds like the electronics industry, advertising things that don't exist, to see if there will be a market for them before they start making them. And it looked so reasonable!
I think Mares is in Italy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom