Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I couldn't find anything with search. I do a lot of shore diving and have a dumb key that opens my car door, so I can take it underwater while shore diving and lock my car. I'm going on vacation at the end of the year, hoping to get in a couple of shore dives on the days we don't go out on boats. Since I'll have a rental car, I will probably have be an electronic key with a swaged steel cable, and any other crap the rental car sticks on the steel loop. Does anyone have any DIY suggestions for a reasonably foolproof way taking electronic keys diving and making sure they work when back on land? Zip lock baggies leak. I'm thinking of using an old GoPro underwater housing if nothing better comes up. Does anyone make small cylindrical waterproof delrin containers with a screw cap, kind of like an empty can light can, for storing small stuff and keeping it dry?

I put my key in my drysuit undergarment pocket whey I dive dry. Some people have had success with dry bags and Otter Boxes, but I think they inevitably leak at least a little. As for small canisters, some have had success getting Light Monkey to make a custom can along the lines of their canister lights. Others use this PLB canister from Custom Divers, a UK company. A slightly larger (and more expensive) canister is the McMurdo.

Car keys and other small items

Small waterproof case for car key fob

Car key solution for me

Protecting electronic car keys

Where to stash your keys

Car key question

The question also comes up a lot in the Bonaire forum, since it's pretty much all shore diving there:

What do you do with keys while shore diving on Bonaire?

Car keys

What do you do with your keys?

Last edited:
-Edit-
See above.
----

OMS Waterproof Container - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop - Buy Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Spearfishing and Freediving Gear from Australia's best online dive retailer
I have a buddy who uses this. I've used any random camera housing off ebay before, old models are cheap. Confirm the size is ok, GoPro might be a little small.

In recent years I hide my rental keys on land. Easier to drop into a hole between some rocks and kick dirt over it compared to risking flooding it.

Some people use old dive lights but be careful not to get one that uses the battery pressure to seal as it obviously won't. Any of the metal lights with the screw down activation (like the Dorcy's) would work.

II've dove with one of these for years with absolutely no leaks - same one is around my neck all week when shorediving. It has a small o-ring that's compressed when you snap it shut. You;d want one of the thicker ones - some of them are pretty thin. Witz from LeisurePro

Last edited:
I use an old hollowed-out strobe light. I glued some lead shot at the bottom to make it negatively bouyant.

Key Lock Box | MAKO Spearguns

key-lock-box-car-door.jpg

Back
Top Bottom