Car key solution for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I went diving towards evening last week and did what I usually do, take my Highlander key and put it on a key ring on a plastic clip hanging on my harness. Had had no problem doing that for quite a few dives. The surge was tough that day and entry/exit was exciting and none-too-graceful rolling over some rocks. It was during entry that my key and clip must have broken from my harness on the rocks, the loss not to be discovered until the end of the dive at which time darkness was coming on pretty quick. Borrowed a cell phone from my buddy and called my wife who came down (about thirty minute drive) to find me sitting in the dark in my wetsuit beside the Highlander swatting mosquitos in total darkness. (I did find the key on a later dive so saved about $150 in replacement costs!) Anyway, now I use a valet key (nothing computerized or electronic about it) that I had cut at the local hardware store. It gets me in the car and even turns on the accessories but does not start the car. I carry it on a key ring on my forefinger under my glove (and now lock the regular key inside the vehicle). Seems to be working good so far. Anybody else had some "key" issues?
key.jpg

Anyway, now I use a valet key (nothing computerized or electronic about it) that I had cut at the local hardware store. It gets me in the car and even turns on the accessories but does not start the car. I carry it on a key ring on my forefinger under my glove (and now lock the regular key inside the vehicle). Seems to be working good so far. Anybody else had some "key" issues?View attachment 376972

When using the wife's car I'll also use the valet key but my swimsuit has a zippered pocket so I toss it in there. When using one of my trucks I've thought about getting a hitch safe so I can simply toss the key fob in the safe and then hit the water.

When we travel wife ties the key to her swimsuit under her wetsuit. Seems to work well.

When we dive locally, we use my trailer and have a combination lock on the door so no keys.

I know many people use the combination padlocks that hold keys inside and lock them on their trailer hitch or something similar near the back of the car.

I probably asked this on a very recent long "key" thread, but--what about your car alarm? Won't it go off if you don't use the electronic key to turn it off before opening the door? I guess that's no big deal as no one pays attention to car alarms for the past 30 years.

depends on the car, but if it goes off, then you just hit the "shut up" button and all is well. I have a 2004 Jeep which has a separate key and fob. I keep one of the spare keys on a bolt snap that gets clipped to the loop inside of my pocket. Haven't had any issues with that.

If I were buying a new vehicle, that would be a very serious nod towards Ford who has the key codes on the drivers door. If you have a trailer hitch, you can also get one of the hitch safes which are combination locks to store a key in

A Valet key is the only way to go. I normally clip mine to the D-ring inside the thigh pocket on my drysuit. It is easily accessible upon getting out of the water; and no risk of it getting snagged on anything while diving. Lots of variations on how valet keys can be stowed but as long as it works for you, who cares.

I drive an old rusted out Chevy Malibu to my dive sites and leave nothing of value in the car with the windows partly rolled down and the doors unlocked, so far no one has ever messed with it.
Partly because I think most thieves are looking for something nice and also because they might be worried about getting cut on one of the jagged rusty edges of metal and having to get tetanus shots.
As for a key my car doesn't need one since the ignition has been on recall for quite some time you can just turn it by hand.

I can also give great advice on how to keep credit card thieves from using your credit card without your permission.

If you did want to keep your key on your bc use a quick-link - they screw down tight and you can probably get one small enough to go through the hole in the key itself, not the ring. I dropped my keys once and the keyring shattered when it hit the ground so I don't think they're as good over time.
Capture.JPG
Quick Link, Small, 1.15 [Acc-QL-1] - $3.11 : Tech Diving Limited, The Leading Source for Diving Equipment
I get mine at Home Depot - they're plated with something that doesn't corrode in salt water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom