Car key solution for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i actually have a few spots i can keep mine
1. i hide under the wheel well with a key hide away
2. clip it to my swim suit
3. i ALWAYS carry a spare key tucked in the far recesses of my dive bag
4. i also took some nylon netting and made a small pocket and sewed it into the inside of by BCD and put a quick piece of velcro over the top and you can pop it in there

So I went diving towards evening last week and did what I usually do, take my Highlander key and put it on a key ring on a plastic clip hanging on my harness. Had had no problem doing that for quite a few dives. The surge was tough that day and entry/exit was exciting and none-too-graceful rolling over some rocks. It was during entry that my key and clip must have broken from my harness on the rocks, the loss not to be discovered until the end of the dive at which time darkness was coming on pretty quick. Borrowed a cell phone from my buddy and called my wife who came down (about thirty minute drive) to find me sitting in the dark in my wetsuit beside the Highlander swatting mosquitos in total darkness. (I did find the key on a later dive so saved about $150 in replacement costs!) Anyway, now I use a valet key (nothing computerized or electronic about it) that I had cut at the local hardware store. It gets me in the car and even turns on the accessories but does not start the car. I carry it on a key ring on my forefinger under my glove (and now lock the regular key inside the vehicle). Seems to be working good so far. Anybody else had some "key" issues?View attachment 376972

I did the exact thing with my fj cruiser. The dealer cut my key for free (I think the blanks are just taking up space since everything takes smart keys now) and I put it on a paracord necklace. Works great for me as well

Spare key on necklace under wet suit or rash guard. By "necklace" I mean either a piece of light chain (think lightswitch pull chain) or paracord, depending.

I've had very good luck with a small dry at made to hold a cell phone. I throw my keys in and press out as much air as I can before I seal it. I wear it around my neck, under my wetsuit. There are a bunch of models certified to a100' of depth.

True Story..... Three years ago. Brand new Dodge Ram. Climbing onto the boat with my keys in my hands with all the other junk I was putting on board. When I noticed (almost like in slow motion) my keys falling from my hand, splash into the water, slowly sink at what looked like 1 foot per minute, and then disappear into the murky below. That all took about 3 seconds.

Lucky I had AAA. They sent a locksmith from Kinston on a Sunday evening. Didn't cost me a thing but if I hadn't had AAA I woulda paid out the nose for a sunday evening locksmith to come from 80 miles away. He actually said he didn't know where Beaufort was when they called him and if he hada known he woulda turned down the job. AAA said he was the closest guy they had on their list.

Anyway, he cut me a new key. Lost my remote, but it isn't worth the few hundred ridiculous dollars the dealership wanted for a 50 cent circuit board. So now I keep the "Spare key" in one of those magnetic hide-a-key things underneath the vehicle.

Also note that the "chip key" doesn't have to be in the ignition. It is a proximity device. If it is within a foot or so of the ignition, the vehicle will start and run. My dad, a farmer, got tired of losing his key to the farm truck. He used duct tape and taped the chip key under the steering column and just uses the valet key all the time. If he loses his valet key, he can just go to the hardware store and they'll cut him a new one for four bucks vs $100 for a new chip key. He can start the vehicle and drive it all day with the valet key with the chip key taped to the steering column. The ignition is picking up the RFID from the chip key taped under the steering column where it can't be seen.

So you can tape your chip key under the steering column and take your valet key with you on your dive. If you lose it, no big deal, you haven't lost the "master" key so to speak.

I hang mine around my neck on thin tubing for hanging a card key around neck. It is always under my wetsuit.

When using the wife's car I'll also use the valet key but my swimsuit has a zippered pocket so I toss it in there. When using one of my trucks I've thought about getting a hitch safe so I can simply toss the key fob in the safe and then hit the water.

I have been using a Hitch Safe for several years for more than just diving and it works very well as long as you don't want to tow a trailer.

True Story..... Three years ago. Brand new Dodge Ram. Climbing onto the boat with my keys in my hands with all the other junk I was putting on board. When I noticed (almost like in slow motion) my keys falling from my hand, splash into the water, slowly sink at what looked like 1 foot per minute, and then disappear into the murky below. That all took about 3 seconds.

Lucky I had AAA. They sent a locksmith from Kinston on a Sunday evening. Didn't cost me a thing but if I hadn't had AAA I woulda paid out the nose for a sunday evening locksmith to come from 80 miles away. He actually said he didn't know where Beaufort was when they called him and if he hada known he woulda turned down the job. AAA said he was the closest guy they had on their list.

Anyway, he cut me a new key. Lost my remote, but it isn't worth the few hundred ridiculous dollars the dealership wanted for a 50 cent circuit board. So now I keep the "Spare key" in one of those magnetic hide-a-key things underneath the vehicle.
why did you not keep the keys in a dry box on the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom