Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you do a shore dive, don't you have a dive flag with you? Couldn't you attached a waterproof device to the dive flag, so it doesn't need to go to depth? Whatever you use, I would double ziplock it as a back up and another back up.
Nope, never dived with a dive flag

There are fundamentally 3 ways to solve this problem, and since I shore dive all the time, I've used them all:

1) Put the key in a lockbox attached to the car.
2) Bring the key with you on the dive in some sort of housing.
3) Leave the key in the car and rely on a combination pad to get into the car (or leave it unlocked)....

I shore dive locally all the time. Even though my truck is a 2014 Tacoma, it has a non-chipped non-electronic key. I just take it diving on a line around my neck with a stainless split ring. Been doing it for years. I'm going to Maui at the end of the year, so will have a rental car, anyone's guess what it will be. Some keys have electronics, some have electronic keys, some nothing. I've gotten plenty of rental cars where the key remotes don't work, most likely from a good dunking in salt water

1. A lockbox attached to the car advertises I'm away. Like I said in an earlier post, big problem with car vandalism all over Hawaii. Also, I suspect heavy duty bolt cutters and a sledge hammer will take care of just about any lockbox

2. My original question

3. No control over a combination pad with a rental car. Key in car + unlocked in Hawaii = lots of explaining to Hertz as to why I don't know where their car is. Anybody who has been around the beach much knows hiding a key is generally dumb and ineffective (at least where there are surfers, lowlifes, or generally other people around)

A dead light or camera case sounds like the best option. I've got a bunch of UK SL4s lying around (they all work), but easy to try one out for key storage, plus easy to tie a bolt snap on to clip to me. Need to make sure the housing will hold up to pressure without a camera or batteries to prevent it from collapsing at depth

So if you want to be absolutely sure (and have an extra $400) there's: Sartek Industries Product Details - it's only good to 750'...

My Witz case has seen 122' and over 90' a lot of times. But it's the thin one so there's not a lot of surface area for the pressure to affect the o-ring seal. You'd never get a smart key in it.

I'd be less sure of the thicker ones since many mention kayaking, snorkeling etc.

Others have reported better results, but the first time I went to Bonaire I used an Otterbox, and it leaked a little. I'm almost sure the gasket was free of sand, etc., but who knows--a little contamination is all it takes. It also occurs to me that any case made of thin plastic is susceptible to deformation under pressure, which could affect the seal. The Witz case looks like a good design, and I already have a bunch of similar cases from no-name manufacturers, which may or may not be the same quality as the Witz, but I have always been hesitant to use them diving for the above-mentioned reasons. I agree with geoff's conclusion that if whatever it is you want to take with you just cannot tolerate getting wet, then the most secure low-cost solution is an old dive light housing or camera housing.

I haven't found the aLokSaks to be very durable. With a key inside they puncture easily. Even for just credit card and cash use, they have always leaked after a couple of dives. If they were made twice as thick, they might fare better.

Many of the electronic key fobs also have hidden hard keys that will work to at least open the door, so you can leave the fob inside. Location where you stash it matters, on a couple of dives I returned to find the rear hatch wide open. I finally figured out it would automatically open after several seconds if the system detected the doors had been locked with the fob inside. Putting it on the floor behind the drivers seat fixed that problem.

An old dive light casing seems like the easy solution to this problem, though I've had decent luck with the small Otter box as well.

This is what we bought for going to Bonaire. We go at the end of Oct but I tried it out at the local quarry last weekend. It held up down to 50' for the couple of dives we did.

LokSak SPLASHSAK PDA/ID Neck Caddy Case, 5x7", Includes 2 4.5x7" aLokSak Waterproof Resealable Bag, Tan

Others have reported better results, but the first time I went to Bonaire I used an Otterbox, and it leaked a little. I'm almost sure the gasket was free of sand, etc., but who knows--a little contamination is all it takes. It also occurs to me that any case made of thin plastic is susceptible to deformation under pressure, which could affect the seal. The Witz case looks like a good design, and I already have a bunch of similar cases from no-name manufacturers, which may or may not be the same quality as the Witz, but I have always been hesitant to use them diving for the above-mentioned reasons. I agree with geoff's conclusion that if whatever it is you want to take with you just cannot tolerate getting wet, then the most secure low-cost solution is an old dive light housing or camera housing.
I double-pack, putting the key inside a small sandwich bag inside the otterbox. Small leaks are common but the bag takes care of this. But so far I had only one rental car with a remote fixed to the key, Nissan Rogue, as I recall. Still, this remote survived my 55 dives, some of them very deep.

I couldn't find anything with search. I do a lot of shore diving and have a dumb key that opens my car door, so I can take it underwater while shore diving and lock my car. I'm going on vacation at the end of the year, hoping to get in a couple of shore dives on the days we don't go out on boats. Since I'll have a rental car, I will probably have be an electronic key with a swaged steel cable, and any other crap the rental car sticks on the steel loop. Does anyone have any DIY suggestions for a reasonably foolproof way taking electronic keys diving and making sure they work when back on land? Zip lock baggies leak. I'm thinking of using an old GoPro underwater housing if nothing better comes up. Does anyone make small cylindrical waterproof delrin containers with a screw cap, kind of like an empty can light can, for storing small stuff and keeping it dry?
Underwater Kinetics model 1000 or 2000. Big enough to hold room and car keys, smaller phone and cash and credit cards.

Earlier in the thread I posted about the Omer float/dry bag which retails for $85 if you can find it.

Since I plan on diving Blue Heron Bridge often, I have the issue of storing my key fob, and also the requirement to have a flag.

From the photos of the Omer it seemed to be a decent size dry bag, so I went to a Diver's Direct store to take a look. In fact it's a fairly large dry bag if you don't inflate the bladders for use as a float. I don't think it was marketed very well, and the one at the store was the last they're going to stock, and it was on clearance for $50. I bought it, so now have a decent float and a serviceable dry bag for boat dives in one unit.

Fully inflated there isn't much room to stow stuff, but a key fob is no problem. Also, you can add larger items to the bag before inflating the upper and lower bladders.

One problem is that the dive flag isn't large enough to be legal for Florida. I extended the post a few inches and used the larger flag from another float for now. I'll probably buy a new flag for the Omer.

Some of the parts of the Omer seem a bit cheap, but the basic bag is heavy and looks rugged enough to last several years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom