Waterproof storage for keys while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies. Most of the pre-made dry storage solutions don't talk about depth rating in the specs, so I assumed they're more for snorkeling than diving. The locking ones that go somewhere on a car advertise to the world that we're not around, so for places like Hawaii where car vandalism is rampant probably not the smartest solution. There are always locals around when parking in Hawaii, so "hiding" when nobody is looking isn't really effective (nothing against Hawaii and locals, but it's just the way it is). And on vacation, I dive wet, so inside my drysuit is not a good solution. I like the light idea as well and will see if any of my lights are more or less dead except for the case

Are the Witz ones with the latch that look like credit card size really waterproof to depth? I've had several over the years, but usually manage to crack the case or break the latch, but not while diving

Great suggestion to use a light as well. Maybe I can track down a dead one to use for a case, like a UK SL4 or similar

I like this one the best so far because it's threaded instead of depending on a latch. However it seems like they aren't shipping this item to the US...
Buy it as a Scubapro Divers Egg. $15

Yeah, but I found this in a listing for it:

ScubaPro Divers Egg Dry Box with String 10-15 FT Depth Rating

But they don't give a depth rating

Edit - Never mind. Replied before I saw your 10-15 ft depth rating

Yeah, but I found this in a listing for it:

ScubaPro Divers Egg Dry Box with String 10-15 FT Depth Rating
Well, that is interesting. The Mares one looks identical and is rated to 40 meters. I ordered 2 and will take one down in November and see what happens. Hard for me to believe anything in an egg shape with an o-ring could leak.

I couldn't find anything with search. I do a lot of shore diving and have a dumb key that opens my car door, so I can take it underwater while shore diving and lock my car. I'm going on vacation at the end of the year, hoping to get in a couple of shore dives on the days we don't go out on boats. Since I'll have a rental car, I will probably have be an electronic key with a swaged steel cable, and any other crap the rental car sticks on the steel loop. Does anyone have any DIY suggestions for a reasonably foolproof way taking electronic keys diving and making sure they work when back on land? Zip lock baggies leak. I'm thinking of using an old GoPro underwater housing if nothing better comes up. Does anyone make small cylindrical waterproof delrin containers with a screw cap, kind of like an empty can light can, for storing small stuff and keeping it dry?

When you do a shore dive, don't you have a dive flag with you? Couldn't you attached a waterproof device to the dive flag, so it doesn't need to go to depth? Whatever you use, I would double ziplock it as a back up and another back up.

Why not throw money at the problem?

Omer Float Dry Bag

The Omer Float Dry Bag is an inflatable float that features a dry bag between two inner chambers to carry small objects, 2-rubber handles on the upper part for easy handling, 4-loops on the lower part for attaching spear gun, float lines & bungee. Pocket for balance weights and shoulder strap to be used when swimming. The float bag has two inflatable air chambers with easy oral inflation valves. The dry bag feature is equipped with a roll top closure with squeeze-style" side release buckle and is handy for carrying small items that need to stay dry. The inflatable float provides buoyancy and the bag has 1,647.6 cubic inches (27 liters) of volume when not inflated. The float measures 25.6" x 11.8" x 9.8" (65 cm x 30 cm x 25 cm) when inflated. The bright orange nylon fabric float bag comes with a traditional red & white diver-down" flag with pole for high visibility.
OSBFDB.jpg

OSBFDB_2.jpg

I would suggest an aftermarket GoPro case. ought to hold a key, even a fob. $13 at Amazon. My only hesitation is if it is built expecting the camera to be inside for structural integrity. But for $13 it would be relatively inexpensive to test it out on a dive, with it empty, or with a couple of pieces of tissue paper inside? Would have a ton of mounting options or put it in a pocket. You can put "gopro extended case" into the amazon search window to find oversized options as well (more $ obviously).

I couldn't find anything with search. I do a lot of shore diving and have a dumb key that opens my car door, so I can take it underwater while shore diving and lock my car. I'm going on vacation at the end of the year, hoping to get in a couple of shore dives on the days we don't go out on boats. Since I'll have a rental car, I will probably have be an electronic key with a swaged steel cable, and any other crap the rental car sticks on the steel loop. Does anyone have any DIY suggestions for a reasonably foolproof way taking electronic keys diving and making sure they work when back on land? Zip lock baggies leak. I'm thinking of using an old GoPro underwater housing if nothing better comes up. Does anyone make small cylindrical waterproof delrin containers with a screw cap, kind of like an empty can light can, for storing small stuff and keeping it dry?

Hello Geoff.

We did have a thread on this not long ago, but search is, well, not always effective.

There are fundamentally 3 ways to solve this problem, and since I shore dive all the time, I've used them all:

1) Put the key in a lockbox attached to the car.
2) Bring the key with you on the dive in some sort of housing.
3) Leave the key in the car and rely on a combination pad to get into the car (or leave it unlocked).

Lockbox wise the problem is that car keys keep getting bigger and as you point out rental car companies attach cruft of various kinds. Most lockboxes on the market won't accommodate larger car keys, to the point where you have to experiment with the particular key you're using to see if it will work.

Bringing the key with you, best move here is to use a housing from a camera or flashlight that has failed. For most divers these accumulate over time. If you don't have one you can buy something. At this point there are housings for gopro knockoffs for $20 new.

Newer cars are starting to come with a combination pad on the driver's door, and I've started using that and leaving the key inside somewhere. With some newer proximity keys you have to wrap the key in aluminum foil for this to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom