Waterproof W1 5mm fullsuit, 1st impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the Find Dealer section of Waterproof's website, the first place it gave me was out of business, the second one sold all their suits but the W1, the others are like 25+ miles away.

I've noticed Scubatoys sell the 7mm, but I'd like to see/hear some reviews, the few I've seen give it high praise but nothing official. Sorta surprised LeisurePro doesn't have it.

well, although I consider Scubatoys to be 'local' to me, it's still 35 miles or so away from me...sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet and make the trip for something that's important to you to get right. :)

well, although I consider Scubatoys to be 'local' to me, it's still 35 miles or so away from me...sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet and make the trip for something that's important to you to get right. :)

Just ordered the 7mm from Scubatoys online, got a pretty good price, I hope to use it around the end of July for a Quarry dive, I'll report back then (and maybe after I try it on for comfort. )

My Waterproof W1 7mm came today. First time I've ever seen a wetsuit shipped in its own companies box (had a bunch of foam and bubble packing it in it to keep it from creasing.

Anyways I tried it on and let me first say it was VERY easy to get on. I ordered a Medium not sure if I needed the small or not but it seems to fit pretty well, the glideskin by the legs may be a little long and I might have to fold it.

Getting it off was sort of a challenge took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to get out.

The suit looks very well made, and the inside Hextex lining is very nice and smooth.

Comes with a 2 year warranty, which its nice to see them toss in the extra year.

I'm hoping to get to the Quarry (where its around 70-50 at the end of the month so I can give it a try and will report back.

Here is a picture I took of it.

waterproofw1.jpg

Took my suit out to the Quarry today for its first test run. First Dive we went without hood/gloves and at about 30feet (the first thermocline) I was really feeling it there was definitely a lot of cold water flushing in from the neckline. My Dive computer said it was about 54 degrees.

Dive 2, we wore hoods/gloves and I had no problem down around 50 feet.

About the suit itself.

My buddy commented it was very light and he didn't even think it was a 7mm. It was very easy to put on and I had mine on it half the time it took him to put his on.

The leg seals were a bit to long and I had to roll them a bit. (my measurements were a bit between the Medium and Small and I opted for the Medium).

I don't think the little compass on the sleeve was working, it seemed to be pointing the same way the whole dive and definitely wasn't in sink with my dive computer compass.

My favorite part was wearing this suit while we were waiting for our 2nd dive, it was very comfortable with the front zipper down, and just relaxing waiting, compared to my old rear zip suit which I usually ended up even taking my arms out in-between dives.

Anyways here is a picture of me in the suit.

I'd definitely recommend this suit for someone who wants a comfortable yet, warm 7mm suit.

IMG_0541-small.jpg

I have the 7mm Aries (MED.). I am 5' 8" 165 lbs . fits like a glove! (I have an athletic build)? The seals on the arms and legs when rolled skin in and zipped let little to no water in! I have dived in the low 50's for a good hour,and only feel a little cold at the very end of the dive!
I love this suit I call it my super suit! I also have the the Libra shorty with attached hood, and a Capri vest with attached hood. I layer either with the Aries when I go for longer or deep dives. It is a quality suit with great warmth!

See you topside! John

I have the 7mm Aries (MED.). I am 5' 8" 165 lbs . fits like a glove! (I have an athletic build)? The seals on the arms and legs when rolled skin in and zipped let little to no water in! I have dived in the low 50's for a good hour,and only feel a little cold at the very end of the dive!
I love this suit I call it my super suit! I also have the the Libra shorty with attached hood, and a Capri vest with attached hood. I layer either with the Aries when I go for longer or deep dives. It is a quality suit with great warmth!

I am looking to get the hooded Libra also to layer over an Aries... Was wondering if you had to buy the Libra slightly larger than a medium to fit over it or if it is designed as a medium to fit over the Aries?

I wear my vest (Libra, medium) under my jump suit. I find this easier, and the vest (in this config) really helps on colder dives.
Hope this helps!
See you topside! John

Last edited:
I wear my vest (Libra, medium) under my jump suit. I find this easier, and the vest (in this config) really helps on colder dives.
Hope this helps!
See you topside! John

... Under! Hmmm... OK. I thought it was designed to go over the suit but if it works underneath, great! I'm the same size almost... 5'8" 170lbs. You have a medium in both the Aries and Libra? and no fit issues?

Also, do you find the attached hood non-restricting? Any cons with the Libra? I'll be using the combo for cold-water NE diving.

Thanks John! Very helpful info.
dd

I may have mis-typed??? I have a 2mm Canis (not Capri as stated earlier post) hooded vest (med in size) I wear under my 7mm Aeries jump suit. (med)
I also have a 5mm Libra that I wear over. It has a hood attached to shorts and a vest (also med) I have not had any issues with any of the Waterproof line that I own. I don't work for or get anything from them, but a quallity suit! You will be happy!
See you topside! John

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom