Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This article is from the Birmingham News. There is an interesting comment from Peter Patrick, an Australian columnist who has been following this closely

Gabe Watson charges stand -- at least until trial, Jefferson County judge rules | al.com
So where does Patrick get off claiming "In Australia, Watson was given a fair trial." I think I remember this as Watson being charged, the copping a plea - so the evidence was never fully presented. Hell, as I recall, the Aussie police didn't even study his computer manual before testing his computer leading to erroneous conclusions.

As summed up in the Wiki article on the so-called trail: Death of Tina Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"When Tina was brought to the surface her respirator was still in her mouth, the air tank was full and tests indicated no faults with her equipment. The prosecutor described Watson [-]as an experienced diver trained in rescuing panicked divers[/-], who had allowed his wife to sink to the ocean floor without making any serious attempt to retrieve her. He did not inflate her buoyancy vest or remove weights from her belt, and failed in his duty as her dive buddy by not sharing his (alternate) air with her." I crossed out the part I cannot accept, but the rest was in evidence, so yeah - I think Australia blew off its responsibility to prosecute. How does a diver drown with second stage in mouth, air in tank, no equipment problems - tell me the rest of the story?

I have to wonder if backroom politics pressed the prosecutor to economize?

How does a diver drown with second stage in mouth, air in tank, no equipment problems - tell me the rest of the story?

I see people everyday who are so nervous about breathing through a regulator, that they clench their teeth and raise their lips which allows them to breath "around" the mouthpiece, thus inhaling water with a full tank and regulator in the mouth.

Watson was incompetent and unable to save his new wife. He was negligent because he represented himself as more experienced and capable than he actually was, and they both chose not to do a check out dive. His ego killed her. That isn't murder, and certainly not premeditated.

I believe that her Instructor holds some liability for signing off on her paperwork, knowing that she was prone to panic. Go back and do some reading. She apparently repeatedly shot to the surface during pool training. I bet she was breathing around her mouthpiece, even then.

Last edited:
This article is from the Birmingham News. There is an interesting comment from Peter Patrick, an Australian columnist who has been following this closely

Gabe Watson charges stand -- at least until trial, Jefferson County judge rules | al.com

I agree with the Judge on this. Double Jeopardy does not apply here, no matter how wrong that may seem. There is no way to know if Alabama has jurisdiction until the evidence has been presented. The prosecution must show both that Watson did something that was a substantial factor in his wife's death and that his plan for this was formed, at least in part, in Alabama. If the prosecution can't show premeditation, then it can't show planning in Alabama. So, if it can only show second degree murder, it will not have shown a basis for jurisdiction and the whole case collapses into a dismissal.

How does a diver drown with second stage in mouth, air in tank, no equipment problems - tell me the rest of the story?

That is the question, now isn't it? ... And, you can add that the valve was open, and that there is no one who can say they saw him turn it off or even have time to turn it off for a long enough period to incapacitate her before turning it back on.

So, how does the prosecution prove Watson did anything that killed her?

Failing to attempt a rescue could have been a cause of her death, and if the jury makes that finding, it must, by law, find him NOT GUILTY. "Could" simply is not good enough to meet the beyond a reasonable doubt standard.

I have trouble seeing how a jury could find that failing to attempt a rescue *was* a cause of death. Even if she was overweighted, sinking, and unable to figure out how to get buoyant, so long as she was not otherwise in physical distress, she could have just sat happily on the bottom watching the fishes ... until her air ran out ... at which point she would have died. But, since there was air in her tank, that could not have been what happened.

I believe that her Instructor holds some liability for signing off on her paperwork, knowing that she was prone to panic. Go back and do some reading. She apparently repeatedly shot to the surface during pool training.

Here we go blaming the instructor again. Except this time I must say that I don't disagree, at least strongly. However, that would be moral responsibility, and possibly even civil liability. I cannot come up with a theory, other than a conspiracy between him and Watson, that would result in criminal liability.

I agree with the Judge on this. Double Jeopardy does not apply here, no matter how wrong that may seem. There is no way to know if Alabama has jurisdiction until the evidence has been presented.

shouldn't that have been determined in the Grand Jury presentation?

The prosecution must show both that Watson did something that was a substantial factor in his wife's death and that his plan for this was formed, at least in part, in Alabama. If the prosecution can't show premeditation, then it can't show planning in Alabama. So, if it can only show second degree murder, it will not have shown a basis for jurisdiction and the whole case collapses into a dismissal.

I think beyond circumstantial, I think they will have a hard time proving that.

but people have been convicted on less...

I believe that her Instructor holds some liability for signing off on her paperwork, knowing that she was prone to panic. Go back and do some reading. She apparently repeatedly shot to the surface during pool training. I bet she was breathing around her mouthpiece, even then.

As long as she demonstrated the skills required so that she could be certified, then I don't believe that the instructor should have any liability. Now if she couldn't demonstrate those skills and it was still signed off, that would be a different issue.

As long as she demonstrated the skills required so that she could be certified, then I don't believe that the instructor should have any liability. Now if she couldn't demonstrate those skills and it was still signed off, that would be a different issue.

I don't know which agency the Watsons were certified with. I don't think that it was with any of the 3 largest agencies.

I can only speak to PADI standards: A student must show mastery of each skill. The Instructor must determine, in his/her opinion, that the student can perform the skill adequately in a repeatable manner.

It is not uncommon for Instructors to create an environment which will help to enable the success of students having difficulty in a confined water environment. A private session, low pressure atmosphere, slow pace, numerous attempts at skills, physical contact to provide comfort and confidence, etc. In the end, the student passes the class having achieved all minimum standards, but only because of the low stress atmosphere.

Assume that the OW cert dives happened with the same Instructor in a controlled environment.
The question is, can the student perform the skills in a repeatable manner in an Open Water environment, without the direct supervision of that caring and good intentioned Instructor? If this person were my student (and I have had a few who fit the description), I would not sign off on their paperwork. She would need to schedule additional pool time to practice, and to become more comfortable on her own, before my name would go on the bottom line.

Now take that student, give her a cert card, ship her half way across the world, throw into the vast ocean with new and unfamiliar equipment, and while she tries to stay calm and be cool, she involuntarily manifests her stress by clenching her teeth and raising her lips, which breaks the seal around the mouthpiece.

This theory is not unreasonable, and all the judge or jury has to do is determine reasonable doubt. I was teaching a class last year and I actually witnessed a rescue where the victim, a 65 year old man (Vietnam Vet) was in passive panic and in an uncontrolled descent. When interviewed after the incident we found that he was breathing around his mouthpiece and inhaling water. Another diver, not his buddy, finally made contact with him at 65 feet and stuck an octo in his mouth. The guy spit it out, so the rescuer stuck the guy's second stage back into his mouth, and he spit it out. The rescuer finally forcebly stuck the octo in the guy's mouth and hit the purge button as they ascended. Everyone survived, but only because the rescuer was very experienced and very persistent.

Witnesses said that Gabe had to have someone help him put his fins on before the fateful dive, and that he was visibly nervous. IMO, he was completely incapable of conducting a rescue like the one described above.

The Instructor might be liable if an investigation, not tied to the Watson case, were to take place. Agency standards are established for this exact reason, so it would likely be very difficult to prove negligence. Negligence as a result of good intentions is probably not worth the victim's family pursuing legally, but it is worth discussing here on a scuba discussion board.

It is easy to come to negative conclusions about the Australian Judicial System when we don't know all the details of exactly what was and wasn't revealed behind Judicial Walls.

It is also easy to judge the USA Judicial System still lacking what may be crucial details.

As I have said before. One side in this situation has nothing to stop them voicing their feelings, opinions and beliefs. One side has to curtail what they say for fear of it being misunderstood, twisted or used against them. This creates unbalanced disclosure of information which effects public opinion.

One of the newest batch of posts made me realize something there is a world of difference between circumstantial evidence on the one hand and evidence of a coincidence on the other. The former is very reliable as it is hard to fabricate. The latter is unreliable because coincidences happen (unless you are one of those who believes it is due to a "higher plan").

Back
Top Bottom