Ways to keep your wetsuit from getting smelly???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just pee in my buddies suit.:wink: Actually we have had really good results from soaking in water and mouthwash.

Joe

Wayward Son:
XS Scuba makes a hanger for gloves, boots & such:

031127_big.jpg
I've found that a hanger like the one above (where the booties can really get dry) makes all the difference.

I use about 2-3 cups of mouthwash in my rinse tub. Nothing funky yet. I also haven't peed in my suits. I also have several of the hangers for the boots and gloves to hang open.

I'm feeling really guilty about peeing in my suit after reading these threads!
I thought EVERYONE did....................

Anyway, the boots seem to be the thing. I have a product called Nature's Miracle, and thought about soaking the boots in this stuff and then letting them air dry.
I think it's intended for doffie accidents on the carpet, etc. but I'm leaning toward rying it.
Has anyone out there tried it or shall I be the bootie guinea pig?

Recently, I had the same problem with my booties. Here’s what I discovered:

I put about two tablespoons of baking soda in each boot, clasped the top opening of the boot shut and shook each boot, coating the inside with a layer of baking soda.

The next morning: fresh-smelling booties! That was two weeks ago and three dives. Still smelling fresh.

Mirazyme from McNett, available at dive shops, camping supply stores, REI, etc., is a really good product. It's an enzymatic cleaner. Add it to water, rinse the gear, and let it dry. It kills the stink without substituting some nasty perfumy smell.

Yup, I'm with you Divingjd, I used Natures Miracle, sold in Pet Shops. It's used to neutralize urine odor from pets in carpet, furniture, etc. The directions tell you to pour some on your carpet to saturate and then don't rinse or blot. Leave the stuff on there and let it dry. I just poured somein each bootie, let them soak, dumped them out and let them air dry. They don't smell of anything at all, no perfume, and believe me, they were pretty funkly when they went in the stuff. IPS- According to my dad, the dog fanatic, you can buy a store brand version of Natures Miracle at Petco for about 2/3 the price. Sold in gallon containers, and less than $20 a gallon, it's a good value. Love those little enzymes.
I wonder if this is basically the same as "Stop the Stink" which is more expensive and sold in smaller containers?
Well, there's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

xiSkiGuy:
I've found that a hanger like the one above (where the booties can really get dry) makes all the difference.

If you don't have one of those, you can hang your boots upside down between the towel rack and the wall in the tub. Let them drain that way overnight, and then put them rightside up in a window the next day. Does the trick for me.

Also, the Listerine works well... I dilute some with water, and then put the boots in a big gallon-sized ziplocs to marinate overnight, and then let them air dry.

Minty fresh feet for weeks!

i have a boot drier at home, i'll unplug it and hang my booties on it. works great. my suit hasn't developed any funk as yet but it's only 6 monthes old, no P in my suit either.

I'm feeling really guilty about peeing in my suit after reading these threads!
I thought EVERYONE did....................

They do, they must, they lie....................or you and I have small bladders. Either way with a good soak after a week of diving my suits have not stunk.........maybe my pee don't stink?

Back
Top Bottom