We bought a Suunto Cobra CPU, is it safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, we bought a brand new Suunto Dive CPU in 2018 from Scuba.com, but didn't get a chance to use it until now. However, we just became aware of the class action lawsuit regarding faulty depth readings for it in 2018. Should we be worried? Thanks in advance!!

Hey all, we bought a brand new Suunto Dive CPU in 2018 from Scuba.com, but didn't get a chance to use it until now. However, we just became aware of the class action lawsuit regarding faulty depth readings for it in 2018. Should we be worried? Thanks in advance!
Just make sure that the depth jibes with other instruments — say, an inexpensive analogue depth gauge. Perhaps a local shop could even perform a pressure test if you are unable to use a pool, etc, to check it out yourself?

I had a number of Suunto Cobra computers, but mine were all accurate, even though they all happened to fall within that, heh, heh, oh, so narrow twelve year recall window . . .

I've had several Cobras as well. All worked fine but two old ones did giveup the ship.

Here's some info I got from some recall notices to help you sort out where your machine fits in the recall spectrum. It is my understanding that the two digits that follow the year (as explained below) are the week of manufacture.

So, lets say you have a 10 digit SN that starts with 1801****** then that would be made the first week in 2018, January 2018 and would fall in the recall. Alternatively, if it started 1852****** then that would be made the last week of 2018, or December 2018.

Class Members include those who purchased new dive computers listed above that was manufactured between Jan. 1, 2006 and Aug. 10, 2018.
The serial number is in three formats:
6 & 8 digits: the first number is the last digit of the year of manufacture, except for serial numbers beginning with ’99’ (see below).
10 digits: the first two numbers are the last two digits of the year of manufacture (e.g., 1234567890 – manufacture year is 2012).
Serial number that starts with ’99xxxxxx’: third number is the last digit of the year of manufacture (e.g., 99046502 – manufacture year is 2010).
All 8-digit serial numbers with ‘7’ as the fourth digit were manufactured after January 1, 2006. If your 8-digit serial number does not have a ‘7’ as the fourth digit, (e.g. 61234567 or 99046502), the first digit is the last digit of the manufacture year. For example, a Dive Computer with serial number 61234567, was manufactured in 2006.”

I have three of these. Myself and my boys dive with them. I had one have the depths sensor go bad. It wasn’t off it was dead, no depth reading. I was able to get a new replacement. Getting good responses from suunto was a horrible process, but once I sent it in, I got a new replacement pretty quick. The paperwork listed the wrong replacement (but they sent the right one), but I’m happy with the end results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom