We made it to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Just wanted to share a couple of newbieÃÔ diving adventure in Maui this week. We arrived late Friday afternoon and stopped by Maui Dive Shop in Lehina to grab some tanks and weights on the way to our timeshare. The staff there is friendly but have come to realize itÃÔ not really geared to divers, mostly set up to rent/sell boogie boards and sunglasses. Not a lot of help with specifics on shore diving and has no technicians to work on gear (found this out after my first stage got broken).

Saturday morning started our first dive at Embassy suites. Soon realized my Buddy didnÃÕ have enough weight no matter how much I tried to pull him down (lol). So first dive called off and back to the dive shop for more weights. Second dive went much better and navigated just fine out through the rip current (thanks to some help here from members of scuba board). Vis was maybe 30-40 fsw and saw many turtles and 3 reef sharks and a ton of colorful fish (sorry I havenÃÕ learned the name of all the fish yet).

Sunday morning was a round of golf at Kaanapali followed by diving Black Rock right next to the golf course. We couldnÃÕ find a parking space at the beach garage so we decided to dive over to Mala Wharf. This was a great site but a little tricky to walk out to the end of the pier. Again we had the turtles and a ton of fish and vis was better at 60 fsw. I did start to feel uncomfortable as we soon discovered there were 3 guys spear gun fishing right next to us. We tried to swim and avoid them but they seem to go wherever we went. But after a while they swam back to shore and we had the whole place to ourselves. As I was changing to my second tank I discovered my first stage was missing the cover around the diaphragm. Have no idea what happen (well, I did have one hit during a swim through©Íol), so I had to call off the second dive and try to get my reg fixed.

No luck with finding anyone who had parts for my MK17 so I ended up renting a reg for the rest of our trip (note to myself, buy a back up reg?lol).

ItÃÔ Monday morning and my Buddy and I havenÃÕ decided where to dive yet this morning. Have a feeling either Kehie of mile post 14. BTW, the whales are in full force and simply a joy to watch and hear under water.

Thanks,
John

Yep, that sounds like my experience with Maui Dive Shop... I imagine there's more opportunity in selling snorkels and boogie boards than dive stuff....
If you book any activities, you can sign up for a timeshare presentation at the Embassy and get a pretty good credit towards your activity - and you only have to walk downstairs so when they try to pitch purchasing another week you can get your free lunch, chat for a while, then ask them about maintenance fees. It will stop the salesperson in their tracks!! Then get back out to the beach!

How was the swim back in from the dive at the Embassy? I've never done that one - you use the rip current to go out, but what about coming back? It's gets pretty shallow over the coral to either side of that.

Sounds like you're having a great time!

Potential places to get your reg serviced, starting with closest to you:
Pacific Dive (Lahaina)
Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui (Lahaina) -- I think they do repairs
Maui Dreams Dive Co. (Kihei)
Maui Dive Shop Outlet Store (Kihei -- on South Kihei Road... the big store)

Yep, that sounds like my experience with Maui Dive Shop... I imagine there's more opportunity in selling snorkels and boogie boards than dive stuff....
If you book any activities, you can sign up for a timeshare presentation at the Embassy and get a pretty good credit towards your activity - and you only have to walk downstairs so when they try to pitch purchasing another week you can get your free lunch, chat for a while, then ask them about maintenance fees. It will stop the salesperson in their tracks!! Then get back out to the beach!

How was the swim back in from the dive at the Embassy? I've never done that one - you use the rip current to go out, but what about coming back? It's gets pretty shallow over the coral to either side of that.

Screw that timeshare presentation stuff... We always do it every year for a couple hundred bucks but last year this women made us sit like little children for exactly 90 minutes after she learned we were not buying anymore (we have several). This year they tried to set us up again and told them flat out never again!!! (lol).
The rip current at Embassy is not bad at all this year (have no idea why). We drift out in it the take a N/N-W heading and have seen a ton of stuff. Then we head back in in a S-W direction until maybe 50 yards from shore then cut back into the rip current and swim right in. We did this dive again yesterday and also Mala Wharf again (just love that site).
Think today either Kehie or Kapalua (please forgive my speeling if I'm not getting these right). I really would like to do one boat dive our last day tomorrow but haven't set anything up yet.
Take care,
John

Sounds like you're having a great time!

Potential places to get your reg serviced, starting with closest to you:
Pacific Dive (Lahaina)
Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui (Lahaina) -- I think they do repairs
Maui Dreams Dive Co. (Kihei)
Maui Dive Shop Outlet Store (Kihei -- on South Kihei Road... the big store)

Hi Kris,
I assume you are back now and hope you had a safe trip.
Pacific dive only had someone on Tuesday (this issue developed Sunday).
I called everyone else and the only ones who had someone was Maui Dive shop in Kihei on Monday morning. Just decided to rent a feg and send mine back in when I get home. It's been working out OK so far (knock on wood).
Thanks and take care,
John

Sorry we didn't meet up with you guys, but it sounds as though you've been keeping busy!

I love the Mala Wharf dive, and we didn't get up that far this trip. But we discovered the north end of Polo Beach, which is a beautiful dive, full of really healthy and actively growing coral and interesting topography.

It's fun to spend a week shore diving -- inexpensive, easy, and you basically see the same things you see from the boats!

Hi Kris,
I assume you are back now and hope you had a safe trip.
Pacific dive only had someone on Tuesday (this issue developed Sunday).
I called everyone else and the only ones who had someone was Maui Dive shop in Kihei on Monday morning. Just decided to rent a feg and send mine back in when I get home. It's been working out OK so far (knock on wood).
Thanks and take care,
John
Hi John,

Yes, I'm back on Maui. Ahh... the warmth! :D

Lynne -- there are a bunch of spots like that. The south end of Ulua comes to mind as well... and the trip out to the Hellcat was very nice as well.

Sorry we didn't meet up with you guys, but it sounds as though you've been keeping busy!

I love the Mala Wharf dive, and we didn't get up that far this trip. But we discovered the north end of Polo Beach, which is a beautiful dive, full of really healthy and actively growing coral and interesting topography.

It's fun to spend a week shore diving -- inexpensive, easy, and you basically see the same things you see from the boats!

Hi Lynne,
Sorry we missed you and Peter. We have been very busy between golf, diving, and hanging out with the wifes:D
We dove Honalua bay yesterday (I think that was the name). Pretty long walk to the shore and long swim out but it was fun. Need to treat ourselfs to a boat dive today and take it easy. We leave in a hour for a trip with Extended Horizons. Did a dive with them last year and the addiction to diving started at that point (lol).
Hope you had a safe trip home and hope we can meet up next February when we return here.
Take care,
John

Hi John,

Yes, I'm back on Maui. Ahh... the warmth! :D

Hi Kris,
I just turned the TV on for the first time this week. Looks like a lot of cold/windy/wet weather around the main land. I sooooooo wish we didn't have to leave here tomorrow. Hope we can get together next year this time.
Enjoy Maui you lucky dog:D
John

Yesterday we finished our 9th and 10th dive with a trip over to Lanai. First site was Cathedtral 1. What a freaking awesome experiance for this rookie:D
I guess I was lucky enough to be the first diver to go inside. The guide told us not to use our lights at first, just swim in and enjoy the beams of lights coming naturaly through the sides and ceiling. Just the best!!!!
Last site was close by but forgot the exact name. something-rock???? Anyways this was also a cool site with about 100 different species of fish swiming around a ton or coral. Just a great way to finish our week in Maui.
Sadly today is the day we leave this beautiful island, but know we will be back again next year.
Aloha,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom