We need lots of suggestions and help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get organized, start an official organization made up of the dive shops, owners and workers, collect donations or dues, get political and get the word out. Research the already established studies of how much sharks are worth in tourist dollars alive versus dead, use these studies to spread the word to the dive community and your peers how beneficial it is to all of you to protect the sharks. Have an election and nominate a president, vice president, treasurer ect... establish commities with specific purposes, have monthly meetings.

What has happened when you talked to the fishermen? If you haven't, start now. Both sides need to be heard and also to listen. Starting a dialog with them would be my first step. They are the crucial link in the chain.

Prey on and use superstition to make them act responsibly....A few ghosts, an apparition, a gremlin now and then.....Be surprised how well and inexpensive that works...Ignorance, superstition and fear of the unknown can be useful tools !!!!!!

why don't you 'google' Palau Shark Sanctuary and ask them. they are operative on local level 10 yrs and regional 3 yrs, took them a long time - still, at the end they succeeded...

Check out pelagic life.com as they are actively "buying" live sharks from fishermen in Mexico. This is a great organization. I believe $25 USD "buys" the release of a live shark.

Isnt buying the shark off them giving them the incentive to catch more to make more money,i understand them buying them to release which is good but I guess that was one way of addressing the problem :)

If it's already illegal, why don't whatever authorities with jurisdiction intervene? Fix that problem, and you should be fine... don't fix it, and any other sanctions you get imposed will be toothless (no pun intended). Perhaps directing your funds to the local police is the way to get them to enforce what's on the books more vigorously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom