We should NOT have tried diving Playa Chikitu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, we were at that site two days before you...

based on the wave activity there i would've never thought it was a dive-able (by shore) site... me and my wife was just admiring the powerful surge and taking pictures...
glad that you could still tell the tale though, hopefully you can recognize and follow the "signs" next time :)

Drich..you are a brave man. I would not have attempted it. Next time you are feeling adventurous, head up to Taylor Made or Candyland past Bopek and Karpata.

I have been "Maytaged" at Monastery in Ca..its not fun! We call this the "Monastery Crawl"
monastery-beach-B.jpg

Richard,
We've been thinking about buying a stout rope in town and diving the Bise Morto site in the park next time. The rope would be to get down the cliff from the parking area, and back up later.
You could be just the fellow to team with for this excursion, so let me know when your next trip is...

You survived to dive another day, that makes it all good, and should erase any regrets, you're a better diver for it with the experience you gained. Not all diving is a sandy beach with a pool boy handing you a hot towel upon exit and a valet to take your fins. :D

Sometimes you take a shot. Just think if you'd lasted a few minutes longer and found a pod of dolphins that swims around there that nobody knows about! No dolphins I'm sure, but the point is, there is adventure and exploration that can have big payoffs and sometimes a few scratches but sometimes it's about the adventure and exploration, but you'll never experience one of those jaw dropping, high five moments if you don't make the attempt once in a while to follow the less taken path.

I think you guys did everything right, once you got separated you called the dive. Maybe the only thing you did wrong was to have not tried the dive again a few minutes later after collecting your thoughts and create another dive plan.

When you're ready to try some shore diving on the east side of Cozumel, let me know.

Thanks for the input, guys. So far my only Cozumel experience was 2 dives with Jeremy Anschel & Living Underwater (had a good time!). As for getting up & down a cliff with a rope, I'm a chubby mid. 40's white collar dude; down I might could do, but the only way I'm going up a cliff by rope is if I tie it around myself and you are very, very strong (or your truck has a winch) - and I'm thinking that would be painful!

As for Monastery Beach in California, I'm aware it's nicknamed 'Mortuary Beach,' as there've been a number of deaths there. Never been to California. Would like to dive a kelp forest someday. I think the whole time I was in the water, though, I'd be suppressing the fear that a great white was going to get me. You can show me statistics all day long, but I saw Jaws movies long before I saw statistics about how unlikely 'The Landlord' is to collect my rent. Besides, in a wet suit, I'm kinda shaped like a seal (like the ones GWS rip clear out of the water breeching on t.v. off Seal Island in South Africa). I like to think I'd still make the dive, but it'd make me nervous.

Richard.

Never been to California. Would like to dive a kelp forest someday. I think the whole time I was in the water, though, I'd be suppressing the fear that a great white was going to get me. You can show me statistics all day long, but I saw Jaws movies long before I saw statistics about how unlikely 'The Landlord' is to collect my rent.
Richard.

Just remember, the original Jaws was set in the northeast US--not in CA. There may be no white sharks around CA, just as there are almost none in the Florida Keys!!

Thanks for the input, guys. So far my only Cozumel experience was 2 dives with Jeremy Anschel & Living Underwater (had a good time!). As for getting up & down a cliff with a rope, I'm a chubby mid. 40's white collar dude; down I might could do, but the only way I'm going up a cliff by rope is if I tie it around myself and you are very, very strong (or your truck has a winch) - and I'm thinking that would be painful!

As for Monastery Beach in California, I'm aware it's nicknamed 'Mortuary Beach,' as there've been a number of deaths there. Never been to California. Would like to dive a kelp forest someday. I think the whole time I was in the water, though, I'd be suppressing the fear that a great white was going to get me. You can show me statistics all day long, but I saw Jaws movies long before I saw statistics about how unlikely 'The Landlord' is to collect my rent. Besides, in a wet suit, I'm kinda shaped like a seal (like the ones GWS rip clear out of the water breeching on t.v. off Seal Island in South Africa). I like to think I'd still make the dive, but it'd make me nervous.

Richard.
Kelp diving is so cool if you don't screw up and panic. That reminds me of this short Tampax vid I saw this morning...

No. I'm guessing he was swimming, not diving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom