Weapon from WWII in Darwin Harbour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one is going to be trawling in Darwin Harbour, unless they are after saltwater crocodiles.

Probably not, but how about dragging an anchor in that area?

Assuming they are right about it being a mortar, was anyone besides the Japanese using such large mortar bombs in World War II? I always though of mortars as only being used from land positions.

Probably not, but how about dragging an anchor in that area?

Assuming they are right about it being a mortar, was anyone besides the Japanese using such large mortar bombs in World War II? I always though of mortars as only being used from land positions.

The Hedgehog was a forward-throwing anti-submarine weapon that was used primarily during the Second World War. The device, which was developed by the Royal Navy, fired up to 24 spigot mortars ahead of a ship when attacking a U-boat

The Hedgehog was a forward-throwing anti-submarine weapon that was used primarily during the Second World War. The device, which was developed by the Royal Navy, fired up to 24 spigot mortars ahead of a ship when attacking a U-boat

Good point. I never thought of them as mortar bombs but I suppose they were very close relatives. Hedgehogs were relatively small and probably would never be used inside a harbor. I was thinking more about the Japanese Type 98 320mm mortar.

Good point. I never thought of them as mortar bombs but I suppose they were very close relatives. Hedgehogs were relatively small and probably would never be used inside a harbor. I was thinking more about the Japanese Type 98 320mm mortar.

Now thats a morter, but unless someone brought a war trophy home, it was not likely to wind up there.

The hedgehog was an example off the top of my head, by the end of the war the British developed the squid. Over 90 kg of explosives is a substantial bang, but I had to rummage about to find it.

Squid Anti-submarine Mortar
The three-barrelled Squid anti-submarine mortar was the ultimate weapon used against German U-Boats (submarines) by Allied ships during the Second World War.

The Squid fired three projectiles, each loaded with over 90 kilograms of explosives, into the water ahead of an attacking ship. The projectiles' explosions were intended to surround a submarine in a three-dimensional pattern. A precision weapon, Squid required advanced ASDIC (sonar) equipment, and was fitted to relatively few Canadian ships, although it was more widely used after the war. In December 1944, HMCS St. Thomas sank U-877 with a Squid attack.

Mortar, Anti-submarine, Squid
CWM 19760561-026
19760561-026.jpg

I am pretty sure theJapanese didn’t get that close to Darwin 😁, according to Historical Firearms - Type 98 320mm Mortar During the Second World War... only had a range of about 1000 yards. Darwin was bombed multiple times during WW2 and was used as a supply base, so it could be something dropped over the side.

I am pretty sure theJapanese didn’t get that close to Darwin 😁, according to Historical Firearms - Type 98 320mm Mortar During the Second World War... only had a range of about 1000 yards. Darwin was bombed multiple times during WW2 and was used as a supply base, so it could be something dropped over the side.

That is my understanding too, which is why the report in the OP seems odd to me. It could be different weapon like an aerial bomb, or the news reporter misunderstood. It will be interesting to see what the EOD team does with it.

I had a good laugh when I read this, so funny:
What! Is this the New Navy?
I can not think of a MCDO [Mine Clearance Diving Officer] "pulling the pin" this quick.:thinkingof:

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall at the handover meeting. Let’s see how long it takes the commercial guys to find it again, assuming they can

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom