Wearing Shorty over full suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I own a 3mm full suit and a shorty 2mm. I was wondering how common is it to wear the shorty outside of the full. I am comfortable in the 3mm in water temps down to 69 degrees but colder than that the 3mm is too thin for me. I do not have a money tree so would I look like a total idot if I wore the shorty over my full suit?

Since you're from Alabaster, you might be talking about using this combination of wetsuits at the Pelham (Bluewater) Quarry. I've seen people there doing exactly what you're talking about there. So it wouldn't seem out of place to see it there.

In that cold water, layer up to keep warm.

brrr - the water was 54* when I dove bluewater in December... I was glad to have a drysuit :) I hope it warms up if you dive it with a 3mil :wink:

as to doubling up - that's all a farmer john and jacket is basically ... so go for it :D

I'd put the shorty on the outside as it can get all bunched up and uncomfortable if inside the full.

Aloha, Tim

I do this with a 3mm shorty and a 7 mm full jumpsuit in 40 degree water and the shorty really does help keep the core warm.

Edit: short on the outside seem to work good.

av8er23:
I own a 3mm full suit and a shorty 2mm. I was wondering how common is it to wear the shorty outside of the full. I am comfortable in the 3mm in water temps down to 69 degrees but colder than that the 3mm is too thin for me. I do not have a money tree so would I look like a total idot if I wore the shorty over my full suit?
When I dove the English Channel, all I had was 5mm shorty and 5mm Long.... guess what, I wore them both!! Be aware of needing more weight at the end of the dive when tanks are empty and suits can start pushing you to surface. Shorty on the outside. What also helps is a hood.... most heat is lost through the head. It could be that you are comfortable with current suit and a thick hood... ?

I tried to do just that at a recent dive.. I found wearing the shorty under the full to be much more comfortable.. granted the shorty is a perfect fit and the full was just a little loose.

You've actually got several companies selling suit systems that do just that – for example, the Tigullio Defender All, which comprises a 5mm fullsuit, a 5mm shortie, a 3mm vest, a 5mm hood and 5mm boots. You can layer up in various ways as and when conditions dictate.

Use your shortie over the top of your full suit and it will give you more warmth around the important area – your torso. A hood might also be a good idea.

Basically, if this keeps you warm, who cares what it looks like? Many a time I have been on assignment somewhere with my 3mm fullsuit, got chilled by the end of the week and stuck a 5mm shortie on over the top. Different make, different colour, but who cares – I was warm!

Mark

I am refering to the rock quarry nearby. It is pretty chilly at depth. I wore just my 3 mm last year and was sort of cold but I do not remember it being 54 it was more like the hight 50's to low 60's. I do have a full hood and it helps lots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom