Wearing Tanks Upside Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow I doubt that, but maybe.

It's actually a lot easier. Try reaching your lower back and compare that the usual valve positions. I don't regularly dive tanks like that but I've tried them on once or twice.

I'll try to get a couple pics of my instructor's setup this weekend. He had a pair of bands modified to allow him to set the tanks down while upside down. Pretty neat setup.

Well unfortunately change is painful for some. They will defend the current system so as not to accept the fact that their way is not ideal. And that's even though they haven't tried any other.

When I wear the fire gear, it's much easier for me to reach the valve. Nuff said.

I mount my emergency small pony upside down so I don't have to turn it on unless I need it. It just hangs on the main tank so doesn't hit the bench.

Here's my standard post on this subject:

>Faster to switch out cylinders. There is just no comparison. Spin, click, pull out the cylinder. Shove in a new one, click, spin on the valve. all done in about 45 seconds, no kidding.

All the best, James

So, if I turn my tanks around how do I do this "spin click" thing??

Ok, now that you've finished laughing, I'll explain my question.

I've noticed that firemen wear their tanks upside down (valve/reg at the bottom). I thought that this may have been some 'fireman' thing, but the other night I saw on the news some police divers with the same setup. (Scuba tanks upside down, with valve/reg behind the 'behind', instead of the head).

Can anyone tell me the benefits of this, or why they do it?

Adam.

Certainly here all emergency services (Fire, police, cave rescue and others) and all military branches (army, navy etc) wear inverted tanks.

Advantages... Shutdowns are far quicker and easier.
Disadvantages... From a diving point of view requires longer non standard hoses and valve protectors.

Small % of divers also wear inverted twinsets due to the ease of shutdowns.

The most comfortable and easy to use rig I had, see photo

Attachments

• David tanks.jpg
    David tanks.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 159

Back
Top Bottom