Weight belt falling off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In less than 15 dives (all rental gear) I have had three cases of weight belts that do not seem very secure, one even fell off in the pool (I grabbed it before I floated). Is this a problem of overly worn gear (should I just buy one?) or is there a better type/method for securing them. My DM's have forbade any tucking of the ends of the belt (risk of increased difficulty in ditching). I agree with this but I am equally concerned with a sudden loss of weight. I have read about a DIR practice of weight belt under crotch strap (don't know how to evaluate this). Comments???

Buy your own equipment. Use a quality stainless steel buckle on the weight belt. It's very common for the plastic ones to not hold a belt on.

Buy a weight belt, either a wire buckle on a rubber belt of a SeaQuest style belt. All of the thread through buckles, even the "good" metal ones can, and will in time, fail.

And where would one find such a buckle?

Dive Rite Express.

Buckles

They aren't all alike. Look for one with a hinge pin running full length through it.

Some of the cheaper ones will allow the belt to slip, and that's not what you want.

gotta have hips, or when you get to depth , tighten your belt again because of compression, your ow instructor should have mentioned that.

I use the standard 10 lb. weights in each BC pocket and another 24 pounds on (in) the weight belt and use standard dive suspenders to hold the belt which I bought at my LDS (PADI). This also means I don't have to squeeze my gut to make the belt tight enough to MAYBE stay on.Haven't lost a belt this way and never will. I had the same problems as you at first. Some people use shoulder suspenders as well, instead of a belt. My buddy(s) know to pull out my BC weights first to ditch weights, as dumping a belt with suspenders is obviously not a quick release. Then again, losing a belt by mistake at depth can be trouble. Loosing belts is a problem a lot of guys have, as our hips are narrower than womens'

Hi, Bruce Justinen here from SEASOFT SCUBA. We make the SEASOFT Weight Belt which is a completely stretchable, elastic weight belt. The lead is sealed inside rubber tubes so that the whole belt stretches and stays on even if you have no hips. We make them from 4 to 35 lbs. Seems to work for a lot of guys (and ladies).

Bruce, Interesting idea.

Back
Top Bottom