weight belts or integrated weights?

For most of my diving:

• All my weights are on my weight belt.

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Some of my weights are on my belt, some in integrated pockets.

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • All my weights are in integrated pockets.

Votes: 110 47.8%
  • Other (e.g. I use a weight harness, or my weight is (on) my back plate).

Votes: 45 19.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add an XS Scuba pouch to my waist belt if I need a couple of pounds extra, but my SS plate and weighted STA or doubles are usually enough.

I use strictly integrated BCDS as this is the ONLY way to go for maximum comfort. In some cases I have used a dui harness when I realized I forgot my weight pouches.

Now in Dry Suits I use both due to such a large amount of weight needed. If I put it all in my bcd and had to hand it to someone on the boat it would drag them off it into the water LOL

Asking this of a scuba diver is somewhat redundant, don't you think?

I just could not see cutting of the weight pouches, kind of kills the resale value of a very expensive BCD. Nothing redundant about it. I can see just removing the pockets that hold the weights.

Basically, there are a few variations depending on wetsuit/drysuit, freshwater/saltwater, twins/single tank, steel/al tank, but the weight tends to either be in a stainless steel plate, a weight belt or in tailweights. I don't use integrated pockets.

One of my buddies has a great saying. He likes Hitler more than weight-integrated BCs. He lifted another buddy's BC and tank and almost threw out his back.
I've seen weight pockets fall out of BCs a few times.

I don't use weight integrated BC. If I need a lot of lead, I might attach some to the BC, but I will still wear a (rubber) weight belt.

One of my buddies has a great saying. He likes Hitler more than weight-integrated BCs. He lifted another buddy's BC and tank and almost threw out his back.
I've seen weight pockets fall out of BCs a few times.

This is why I strictly limit my integrated to aroun 18 pound max. I have worn a farmer john once which required over 30 pounds! I was almost tempted to back a pickup with the tail gate down into the water just to get the darn BCD out! Ever since I use my weight harness for over 18 pounds.

I wore a weight belt until 8 years ago when I bought my first integrated BC. I used the weight belt the first time or two in diving with it, and then took the no belt plunge and have not looked back.
I am a warm water guy, 3/2 suit December to May in South Florida. I dive big steel tanks and need 7 pounds but like 8-10 depending on my activities that dive.
Chug
Does not miss getting stretched by a weight belt.

I wore a weight belt only when i did'nt have my own gear. I don't have a big problem with them, but one day out for a dive I had not noticed on a surface swim out that I had dropped the belt in the shallows. That was enough for me to prefer integrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom