Weight dumping for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mick

Reaction score
I am just reading my open water diver manual preparing for my course next week. I have just finished the section on weights and I now have a question :confused:

Which weight system is the easiest to dump in an emergency??
A weight belt or the intergrated type in the BC??

The belt system just seems more simple and looks like it has less to go wrong.

Thanks

Mick

To me that's a matter of opinion. But it has more to do with how well you know your system than anything else. For instance, I have a Zeagle Ranger which is weight intergrated and has the Rip cord system. The Rip cord that releases the weights is on the front left side and has a handle that is easily accessible. All you do is pull it and no more weights. To me that's easier then trying to locate a belt buckel that has somehow managed to work it's way up under my BCs cummberbound or etc. But that's just me and you should try both and go with what makes you the most comfortable.

Weight integrated B.C.'s have many benefits. I personally like systems that have seperate weight pouches on both sides that can be dumped independantly of one another. This gives you more options, and therefore more control.

Here's a thread about Weight Integration

There are a number of other threads you can follow regarding weight integration and weight belts in the General Equipment Section. Don't forget to click on the pages on the bottom right, so that you can see all of the available past threads.

Whilst there are some (IMHO debatable) advantages to weight integration, you must ensure that the system is maintained, as a poorly maintained system that didn't work was one of the major caues quoted in a recent diving death (read the report posted by rcohen here

Weightbelts, by definition can't break like this.

As for which is easier, I would say that in an emergency it is easier to undo a weightbelt than dump from an integrated BC.

Jon T

That is the question..
Here's what I do. For warm water diving, I use an Explorer travel BC and a belt, even though the travel BC has a "sort-of" weight integration option.
In more temperate open water, I use a jacket (Seaquest Pro-QD) with integrated weights. The seaquest QD system is, in my opinion, the best integrated system out there for ease of both rigging (slip the pockets in) and dumping (yank the pockets out). This system has the added advantage of being able to pull the weight pockets and hand 'em up to a deck hand in a small boat so he won't have to break his back hauling your scuba unit onboard with the weights still in the jacket. The only disadvantage to this system I've found is that if you do not take care of it, the velcro can get fouled with junk so it doesn't do it's job of keeping the pockets in the jacket well. But a few seconds cleaning the velcro every now and then obviates that.
In cold water I wear a drysuit and use a Transpac-II with both integrated weights and a belt.
-----------------
The chief advantages to the integrated systems are the consolidation of two pieces of gear and in general a quicker, more foolproof way to dump the weights. The disadvantages are that the scuba unit can get mighty heavy and unweildy if you're carrying more than just a few pounds, and (this is based on what I pick up off the bottom) it's much easier to inadvertantly lose integrated weights.
-----------------
The trend in the industry is toward weight integration.
Rick

Hi there..

I am a relatively new diver (I've logged 20 dives to date). I have tried both weight belts and weight integrated systems. I much prefer belts. For me, it is easier to control a belt -- I can strap it firmly around my waist, and it will stay put. In my experience with integrated BC's, the weight tends to be a bit lower, and is held a bit away from my body, which causes more drag, and also results in more shifting of the weight. The most annoying aspect of this, is when I turn head down, the weight tends to slide up (err, down?) -- towards my head, thereby pushing the bc and tank up (down) around my ears... I know, that in theory, a perfectly fitting bc would not allow this, but, in my experience, it is a lot easier to get a weight belt to fit exactly, than to get a super duper fit on a bc.

--Just my 2 cents.

Liz

Thank you all for your helpfull comments.
I think I will try both and practice dumping with both to see which one suits me.
The quick draw method of dumping a weightbelt as described in my course book seems to be fairly failsafe.
I dont know, being a new diver, if I panicked that I would be able to use the integrated weight belt as easy.
I suppose that alot will depend on my growing confidence and practice.
Thanks again

Mick :D

Like Warhammer I use the Zeagle Ranger, it is by far the best method of weight retention and dropping of any BC on the market.

I've read and have had experiences with the cheap imported velcro and not the real stuff. The Ripcord method is fool proof, nothing accidently falls out, you can remove the pouches and hand them up to the boat. An all it takes is one hand to drop both pockets. A pull on the cord of about 6" and you're outta here.

Weight integration is great, the weights don't move around your body as does a weight belt.

ID

I will seriously have to find one of these Zeagle Ranger's.
I have never seen one here in Aus but I know they are available.
You guy's all seem to love them !

Back
Top Bottom