Weight harness with back inflate bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selkiesearchteam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently got the Aqualung Rogue BCD (Med), which is still a step up from using my Pearl for my dry suit diving :wink:. However, as happy as I am with the step up, I really struggle with clicking in the surelock weight pouches into the back system once the pouches are full.

I’m considering moving to a weight harness to just ditch the weight system, since A) weight belts bruise my hips, and B) it will take some weight off while carrying around my set up topside.

However, does anyone have any strong opinions regarding safety when combining the two systems?

Before you ask, no, I’m not getting a backplate wing system.

What is having all the weight on your hips going to do to your trim?

I use about 32 lbs of weight diving my drysuit. I recently decided to use a weight harness and found an inexpensive model to try out. I bought the AKM (2020) model of weight harness off amazon for about $50-60. It seams to be built ok , but I have yet to try it out. the only thing wrong was the chest strap was located too high, so I will probably cut it off before I try it.

Put some non ditchable something like this

full.jpg

ive been using the DUI harnes for a while now and ive been happy with it.

it has easily ditchable weights so its as safe as any other method of carrying lead. and it makes carrying 30 lbs of lead a LOT easier.

I use a Connor weight and trim with both my BPW and my aqualung back inflate (dimension).

Just adjust the harness so it doesn't interfere with the rogue fit and you'll be fine.

Put some non ditchable something like this

View attachment 640552

@happy-diver that is a brilliant set up to reduce weight pocket weight! I will have to set something like that up.

Thanks everyone else who made suggestions - these suggestions are valuable to hear! I think it’s definitely worth trying out.

I forgot to add, I split the weight between the 2 so neither is super bulky.

I'm very happy

Now my way is to minimise, so my hips could be bleeding and I would not wear a harness
so when your setup is balanced, weight is dispersed, a padded weight belt it's no problem

full.jpg

This portrait is called utilisation

I like to be quick so a weight harness NO WAY I would use a backplate that already has a harness

Balanced Weighting For Scuba Divers %

I'm very happy

Now my way is to minimise, so my hips could be bleeding and I would not wear a harness
so when your setup is balanced, weight is dispersed, a padded weight belt it's no problem

View attachment 640756
This portrait is called utilisation

I like to be quick so a weight harness NO WAY I would use a backplate that already has a harness

Balanced Weighting For Scuba Divers %

I can't do any kind of weight belt, I have no hips. Tighten it as much as you want on the surface, once I hit 10 feet the only thing holding it is my crotch strap if I'm diving BPW if I'm in my back inflate I'm holding it.

Back
Top Bottom