Weight ~ just curious...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP was probably using Estimated Diving Weight Calculator | DiveBuddy.com. Seems like a typo, 14 lbs. is with an AL80, 8 lbs. is with a stell 80.

Yeah that's it. But no typo. I did it again just to make sure. Says 14lbs.
I guess I'll just have to go find out for myself and let you know. :)

Typo.png

They say I'd need a whopping 21 pounds with an AL80!
"In Salt water, weighing 200 lbs, with a 3mm one-piece wet suit and Aluminum 80:
You will need an estimated 21 lbs of weight (+/- 2 lbs)."

They also say I'd still need 19 lbs even if I lost 20 pounds in body weight with an AL80. So no need for me to bother to lose weight. Not that much of a savings. I can still be fat and dive. :)
"In Salt water, weighing 180 lbs, with a 3mm one-piece wet suit and Aluminum 80:
You will need an estimated 19 lbs of weight (+/- 2 lbs)."

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't trust that calculator. I dive in skins, AL80, in salt water and use 6#, yet that says I need 12# +/-. This doesn't take into consideration BC type our or anything else. Get out and dive to figure out what you need.

Yeah but I thought it might get me in the ballpark. 6 vs 12 I wouldn't call in the ballpark. :) It obviously doesn't take into account body mass. A 200 lbs fat boy will have more buoyancy than a 200 lbs solid body builder. Fat floats, muscle doesn't. How much difference in buoyancy, I don't know. Probably not enough to make a mentionable difference. That's probably where their +/- factor comes in.

A 200 lbs fat boy will have more buoyancy than a 200 lbs solid body builder. Fat floats, muscle doesn't. How much difference in buoyancy, I don't know.

What makes the biggest difference, based on body composition, is the volume of the body for a given weight (mass). It's simple Archimedes principle.

A more muscular person, at the same weight, displaces less water than a more fatty person. This is because of the relatively density (volume versus mass) - muscle being more dense than fat.

Also, body density/composition can directly influence the size of the wetsuit worn, which has a much more direct impact on buoyancy. Obviously, the volume of an individual influences their surface area. Cover that surface area with highly buoyant neoprene and we can see a definite variation in buoyancy.

Obviously, there are other factors that dictate the size of a wetsuit needed. Height, for example, may dictate a larger wetsuit size, rather than waist or chest measurement.

Last edited:
If you are talking about a corpse, then yes, buoyancy of a newbie and an experienced diver are the same. However, buoyancy is a factor of mass and volume, and an inexperienced diver almost always has a slightly higher volume than the same diver once they relax in the water.

As @DevonDiver said, the new diver tends to breathe in the top half of the lung volume, I find that its REALLY hard to get the guys to exhale fully at all for the first while. So if I am neutral with half lungs and can pick up 4-5 lbs easily with a full inhale, then if I was breathing around the 2/3 mark instead of the half-mark I would need an extra 2 lbs or so to be neutral. Almost every diver Ive known has dropped a pound or two every few months as they get more experienced, more so if they were overweighted by a sausage-machine instructor to start with.

That online buoyancy calculator is a joke. For my 5mm wetsuit for warm water, with al100 it says 16#. I wear half that.

I dive a full 3mm suit and use 14lbs of weight. So I'm think the calculator tou used may be a bit off. I'm 5'8" & weigh 140 lbs. With you being 200. Is would call your LDS and ask them.

When I talked to mine..he told me right on the money with 14lbs of weight. Of course my upper torso will DD a bit of buoyancy for me ....lol

I dive a full 3mm suit and use 14lbs of weight. So I'm think the calculator tou used may be a bit off. I'm 5'8" & weigh 140 lbs. With you being 200. Is would call your LDS and ask them.

When I talked to mine..he told me right on the money with 14lbs of weight. Of course my upper torso will DD a bit of buoyancy for me ....lol
14lbs seems too much for you? As per above I dive with 8lbs on a 5mm and I'm 5'10 150lbs

When I wore a 5mm farmer john I needed 26lbs of weight lol but I am not as lean as I was 15 yes ago.

If you look at some of the numbers it is clear that the calculator is not doing much more than saying 10% of your body weight plus or minus a pinch depending on suit and some experience. The latter of which is also subjective since I have seen divers with a few hundred dives that were clueless when it comes to weighting. Same info is found in many OW student manuals as a starting point.
The only way to know how much weight you are going to need with any kind of accuracy is to get in the water and check.

Back
Top Bottom