Weight lifting and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mad_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all... I've asked an instructor about this, but I'm just not sure about his answer.
"If a diver also lifts weights and is going to do both on the same day, in what order should it occur?" Does it depend on the depth of the dive? Duration of the dive?

I've always thought that a diver should reduce their activity after diving, to reduce the possibility of formation of microbubbles.

The instructor I asked, suggested that working out AFTER diving is the best scenerio.... Anyone have an educated answer for this?:huh:

Thanks
Mad_diver

Mad_diver:
Hey all... I've asked an instructor about this, but I'm just not sure about his answer.
"If a diver also lifts weights and is going to do both on the same day, in what order should it occur?" Does it depend on the depth of the dive? Duration of the dive?

I've always thought that a diver should reduce their activity after diving, to reduce the possibility of formation of micro bubbles.

The instructor I asked, suggested that working out AFTER diving is the best scenerio.... Anyone have an educated answer for this?:huh:

Thanks
Mad_diver

Working out within few hours of diving is not recommended. DAN (Diver's Alert Network) recommends very light activity after diving to reduce the likelihood that nitrogen bubbles will be released from solution and contribute to DCS.

They also do not recommend heavy exercise within 2 hours prior to diving.

Hope this helps.

Work out time

It is not reccomended to work out after a dive like the previous post stated, I also think there is a direct relationship to the duration and depth of your dive but to try and figure out a formula is beyond me.

Working out before diving seems safe to me, here is my reasoning,

I figure a person who is concerned about working out around thier diving schedule is probobly already in good shape, this would already takes them way out of the DAN stats who have to be as conservitive as possible due to the extreme level of poor fitness the average dive is at.

I suppose you could also tell the Navy Seal instructor that you cannot work out two hours before diving and then a few hours after diving, Im sure he would understand

Thanks for the replies to my question.

I posed this same question to my buddy who's a Dive Master and is leaving tomorrow to take the 3 week Instructor course. He said that if it was him, he'd treat it like any other dive and not start his workout until the SI put him into an equivilant nitrogen level of being an "A" pressure group diver.

The reason I ask the question is, I've been doing heavy weight training since January as part of a healthy change of life (Stopped smoking and all forms of caffeine on Feb 13 2005). I've made great progress in lifting.
The thing is, I have a trainging schedule that could conflict with diving-- and I don't want to give either one up. Hence the quandry...

Thanks for your input. Just might save me a trip to the chamber.......:14:

Maybe I should do my wieght training WHILE diving? ---------lol I could add a ton of wieght to my My work out then............lol

Heavy lifting after diving is a well-known bender- I'm shocked that your instructor suggested this was better than lifting *before* your dive. The problem with any kind of intense activity after diving is that the mechanical forces of human movement can cause dissolved gasses to cavitate out of solution. Think of the bubbles of water vapor that spin off a boat prop- that's cavitation.

It's actually best to just schedule your diving on days off. A heavy strength training program does not need more than three quality days of lifting per week. More days of traditional bodybuilding training usually means that you're either not getting enough recovery, you're not exercising at the right intensity, or some combo of the both.

If you have to lift on dive day, do it before. Keep in mind that muscle soreness can mask or mimic DCS, which might complicate your enjoyment of other less strenous post-dive activities.

Cameron

I always reduce my workout routine when I'm scheduled to dive. You won't be set back by skipping a few workouts. The exercise from diving and being active will be a suitable substitute for a few days. Generally, if you have been lifting heavy for an extended period, your muscles could probably use the break anyway. Many lifters make the mistake of not allowing their body enough recovery time anyway.

Bingo, Carolina Diver. This is what I do too, and you're right, the rest/recovery period is a welcome break for the muscles so that they can mend and grow. Besides, if a lifter misses a couple of weeks and even loses a little size from not lifting, once the training regimen is resumed, the muscles will spring back quickly. "Muscle memory."

CameronMartz:
Heavy lifting after diving is a well-known bender- I'm shocked that your instructor suggested this was better than lifting *before* your dive. The problem with any kind of intense activity after diving is that the mechanical forces of human movement can cause dissolved gasses to cavitate out of solution. Think of the bubbles of water vapor that spin off a boat prop- that's cavitation.

It's actually best to just schedule your diving on days off. A heavy strength training program does not need more than three quality days of lifting per week. More days of traditional bodybuilding training usually means that you're either not getting enough recovery, you're not exercising at the right intensity, or some combo of the both.

If you have to lift on dive day, do it before. Keep in mind that muscle soreness can mask or mimic DCS, which might complicate your enjoyment of other less strenous post-dive activities.

Cameron
Cameron, what's your take on GI3's boast?:wink:
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_DecompressionCurve.htm
". . .If you execute deco correctly and are in good shape and have no preconditions, you should be clean and ready for anything 30 minutes after you get out of the water. You can tell if you have not done what I am saying here, you will not feel so good. It will be subtle, but if you want to test it, try going for a run. If you are immediately short of breath, you blew the deco. If you can rock, you did it right. If you get bent trying this, then tough luck, blame JJ. In reality, you will feel a little sluggish and heavy just putting your gear away if you did an inadequate deco. . ."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom