Weight lifting and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is some evidence suggesting it might be a good idea to work out before the dive. This could be because your body gets rid of micro nuclei during heavy exercise. Nothing definite yet, though.
Working out after a dive is a very bad idea, even if GI3 suggests it is not :banghead:

Justo to be safe, I do not work out the day before or the day after a dive.

Sounds like sage advice island guy, but reading this thread, I have to wonder how the Navy SEALS deal with this. I'm guessing that when they do a beach insertion it involves egressing a submarine, taking a ride in a DPV, then swimming underwater for some distance. Suppose they sit on the beach for a while after they come out of the water? I doubt it.
Or maybe they don't go deep enough for deco to be much of a threat? Mixed gas? I know they use rebreathers in some instances, but I'm not familiar with them, or their effects on nitrogen retention.
Personally, I've never given this any thought. I only get to dive when I'm on vacation, and I try to stick to the meaning of the word "vacation". For me, the words vacation and exertion do not mix. For that matter, exertion and diving don't mix either.
Now, before my vacation I tend to work my guts out.

This would all come down to listening to your body and observing what you are actually doing, both in regards to training and diving.

I don't usually train after diving, I do mainly evening dives and complete day trips. When I do train before diving there are a couple hours between the different activities. I train with high-intensity workouts which require a rest period right after a session, and if the body is still complaining by dive time, I simply don't dive. I don't know how your training so don't take this the wrong way, but I find most people do not train with enough intensity to really concern themselves with some of the possible side effects discussed here.

Now if your doing any extended, deep, or mulitpule dives, do you really need to work out after diving? You are 'working out' while diving, there is moving through the water, setup and teardown of your gear, tossing tanks around, listening to others dive stories during any SI, etc. We are not all Navy Seals...

Play safe and find what's comforable for you in your new active, healthy lifestyle.

The key word for searching or Googling this subject is tribonucleation.
You'll get a lot of interesting hits.

Aushealer. Not taking it wrong at all. I'm very familiar with the big box "leisure world" type fitness programs. We make fun of such nonsense over at http://www.crossfit.com/.
Plenty of intensity over there. IMO, anything else is a waste of my time.

Miketsp. Thanks for that! Very informative! Interesting to note that exercise DURING deco helps to mobilize nitrogen into the blood stream, enhancing its expellation. Now I'm wondering what kind of meaningful exercises one could perform while sucking on a stage bottle. Not that I plan on it, but I'm at a loss on exactly what kind of exercise can produce enough resistance to be called exercise while floating on a rope at a deco stop.

fishoutawater:
Sounds like sage advice island guy, but reading this thread, I have to wonder how the Navy SEALS deal with this. I'm guessing that when they do a beach insertion it involves egressing a submarine, taking a ride in a DPV, then swimming underwater for some distance. Suppose they sit on the beach for a while after they come out of the water? I doubt it.

Cardiovascular activity increases gas exchange between lungs, blood, and tissues in both directions. This is how our metabolisms work, and it also has the same effect on the inert gasses we breathe. In other words, if we exercise at depth, we accelerate the *on*-gassing of inert gasses. If we exercise on the surface after a dive, we accelerate the *off*-gassing of inert gasses.

The problem with post-dive exercise comes from the mechanical action of our joints, muscles, and connective tissues. This movement can potentially cause gasses dissolved during a dive to cavitate into bubbles.

However, back to the effect of increased cardiovascular activity... With elevated circulation and respiration comes an increased partial pressure differential between blood and tissue, making bubbling less likely. The increased blood flow makes it easier to "flush" bubbles to the lungs before they become a problem. The increased respiration makes it easier for the lungs to filter the bubbles from the blood. So, it is quite reasonable to imagine that under certain circumstances, the benefits of increased post-dive activity take care of the costs.

There are numerous studies that have found post-dive cardiovascular activity to *reduce* venous bubbling, though you must balance this with the findings of other studies, as well as real-world accident data, that post-dive exercise can also bend the snot out of some people. It is tempting to say that a diver should increase their cardiovascular activity in a way that limits joint stress, say riding a bike or swimming laps, but there is no way to know where the line between benefit and risk would fall for any given person on any given day.

Oh, and if you are in the physical condition of a SpecWar dude, you are also likely to be even more resistant to bubbling and its effects.

Cameron

Fish... yesterday was the 'filthy-fifty' over lunch and after supper a nice 55' drift along an old lock system. I enjoy the Crossfit brand Koolaid as well.

Thanks for the info Cameron. It's nice to know my fitness efforts help me with off gassing as well as SAC rates.
And Aushealer! Filthy-Fifties! Awesome stuff man! Definate puker! But coming off of a fairly long layoff, my filthy fifties look more like twinkie twenties right now, but I'm working on it.
No, I'm nowhere near SpecOp material being almost 49, but I have freaked out quite a few younger people in various things like bicycling, running and bar brawls (don't ask:shakehead ) and such.
The thing about these types of workouts is that I can let myself go for a while and live like a lazy slob, but all I have to do is "drink the Koolaid" and I can be pretty stout again in about six weeks. Right now all I'm doing is Oly Lifting, ruck sack hill runs, and Fight Gone Bad (similar to filthy fifties).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom