weight moulds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disclaimer. Read lead owners manual before using. Do not drink the molten lead. May cause severe burns or cause death.

I used a soap dish (SS) from target, other ideas are bun tins, small loaf tins... other cookware...

I'm suprised that people find it necessary to warn people that molten lead is hot! The steam explosions (phreatic) are fair game though, because they can sneak up on you..

BTW heating tho moulds is a great way to get a good finish as mentioned previously, remember the center of the pour remains hot long after initial (surface) solidification occurs, allow the ingot to cool for a long time, especially larger pours before trying to move it, or it my litterally fall apart spilling aforementioned liquid lead on your legs! a little warm :wink:

FatRob:
I used a soap dish (SS) from target, other ideas are bun tins, small loaf tins... other cookware...

I'm suprised that people find it necessary to warn people that molten lead is hot! The steam explosions (phreatic) are fair game though, because they can sneak up on you..

BTW heating tho moulds is a great way to get a good finish as mentioned previously, remember the center of the pour remains hot long after initial (surface) solidification occurs, allow the ingot to cool for a long time, especially larger pours before trying to move it, or it my litterally fall apart spilling aforementioned liquid lead on your legs! a little warm :wink:

This isn't a suggestion, but is what I did. Once the outside (surface) had cooled sufficiently, I stood a safe distance away and hosed down my mould (with the ingot still in) before seperating them. This helped the ingot cool completely...

I left my 3 lb ers in their soap dish for 15 mins, then dropped the mould et al into a bucket of cold water, this usually triggered the lead to release...

obviously if you are making structural parts this will make the lead casting more brittle, but this is not the place to discuss advanced metallurgy. For teh purposes of ballast, this is fine.

pescador775:
Watch out for these Canadian moulds on EBay! They have 1 7/8 inch slots. Belts are normally two inches width. A rubber weight belt can't even be started into the slot. Nylon is a pain.
The Trident is OK.
Pesky

This fellow is or should I say was correct. The mould have been modified and have now got a full 2" slot. The problem was just on the 2 pound open mould.
I have added to my line. I now have a 1 and 2 kg open mould as well as a 1 kg split mould. More to come. I will soon have a 1.5 kg open mould and a 5 kg split mould.
If you need further information E-Mail me at logicdesign@rogers.com I can send you a spec. sheet on any mould in my stock of 16 different sizes and styles.

WEIGHT MOULDS / MOLDS
I have added to my line of weight moulds. I now have 19 different sizes and styles including 2, 3, 4 and 5 pound open face; 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 pound two piece. I have a few special moulds; a two piece, 20 oz. 2 cavity freediver mould and a two piece bullet style mould.
If you want metric sizes, I have them as well. I have 1, 1.5 and 2 kilo open moulds; 1 and 5 kilo split moulds.
A new one is just being added (Mar. 2008), a 1 kilo freediver mould.
If you are looking for a small weight (130 gm/5 oz.) that can be used to fill BC weight pocket, I have a mould for that as well. It is a unique item in that it may cast weights with a hole through it to string together to make an ankle weight or poured solid.
E-Mail me at logicdesign@rogers.com
I have posted on eBay but their high fees have driven me away.

I have added a few great moulds to my inventory; two of which are appealing to the freediver. They are in the shape of an air foil and offer very little flow resistance. E-Mail me at logicdesign@rogers.com if you are interested. I have many other sizes and shapes as well.

Attachments

• SE-040F-1-D.jpg
    SE-040F-1-D.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 350
  • SE-027F-1-C.jpg
    SE-027F-1-C.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 325
I have a friend that pours his excess molten metal from casting into a cheap second-hand cast iron cornbread pan. You get little lead ingots that look like little ears of corn, but they're a great size to melt again later.

DFB

Hi Guys,
I just found this thread, but I am looking to do the same thing. I have plenty of lead bricks a torch and melting pot, but looking for a good size / configuration to make my weights to. I am using an Aqua Lung weight integrated BC, so it really doesn't need belt slots. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
RickP

I believe Trident sells weight molds, their catalog is online and most dive shops are Trident dealers and can order it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom