Weight of water around you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering tonight how much water you can see if you're near the bottom at 60' and there's 60' of viz. Turns out that a half-sphere of water with a 60' radius weighs 28 million pounds (13 million kg) or 14 thousand tons.

First time I went down to 60' i can remember looking up at the waves and looking around in the rest of the water and thinking about how much it all weighed...

lamont:
I was wondering tonight how much water you can see if you're near the bottom at 60' and there's 60' of viz. Turns out that a half-sphere of water with a 60' radius weighs 28 million pounds (13 million kg) or 14 thousand tons.

First time I went down to 60' i can remember looking up at the waves and looking around in the rest of the water and thinking about how much it all weighed...
How much can you see if you hover at thirty feet?

lamont:

You had 60' vis and was thinking about the weight of the water?

Holy cow!

I'd be thinking about the incredible sea life...(because I rarely get better than 20' vis, at best...)

lamont:
(13 million kg) or 14 thousand tons.

There is one thing I don't understand. A tone equals a thousand kilograms.... so how come 13 million kilos turned out to be 14 thousand tones????
What's in this mug???
:)
Mania

Lamont, you should've been where I was yesterday morning ... Lake Crescent. Vis was well over 100 feet. Haven't seen vis like that since Molokini.

Unfortunately, with the exception of a few curious lake trout, some sunken trees, and an old barge sitting in the silt at 60 ffw, there wasn't a whole lot to look at.

But it was nice not having to rinse my gear after the dive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mania:
There is one thing I don't understand. A tone equals a thousand kilograms.... so how come 13 million kilos turned out to be 14 thousand tones????
What's in this mug???
:)
Mania
I think that "ton" is "2000 lbs" (Imperial measure) which is close to a "tonne = 1000 kg".

1 kg = 2.2026 lbs
13 x 10^6 kg ~= 28.6 x 10^6 lbs ~= 14.3 x 10^3 ton

-Rob

rab:
I think that "ton" is "2000 lbs" (Imperial measure) which is close to a "tonne = 1000 kg".

1 kg = 2.2026 lbs
13 x 10^6 kg ~= 28.6 x 10^6 lbs ~= 14.3 x 10^3 ton

-Rob
But a ton is from metric system!!!!!
So 13 million kilograms = 13 thousand tons!!!!!
As simple as that :11ztongue
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom