Weight pockets position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put some in pockets attached to the BP. Zeagle makes a pair that fit nicely along my sides and are easily reachable.
zeagle-zip-touch-backplate-weight-system.jpg

Get rid of the BCD as quickly as you can. Get a back plate and wing. You will either end up with a) no weight belt (Better trim) or b) less weight on your weight belt (Better trim). When I did my OW 10 years ago the local LDS tried to sell me on a BCD. I bought an OMS plate and wing instead. Never looked back. My trim went for terrible to 100% better the following day. Just my 2 cents.

I've had a OxyCheq wing and two weight pockets. Should I put the weight pockets on the tank straps or waist straps?
I use 2 x 4lbs weight.
Some people said they should be put on the tank straps because they can balance the force while I am on water surface to prevent head down. But if I put them at the back, it is not possible to discard them when there is an emergency.
So, should I put the weights on the waist instead? I'm so confused.

Keep in mind that the only emergency scenario where you'd want to ditch weight is if you're on the surface and can't stay afloat. For example, you jumped off the boat with a bunch of lead and forgot to pre inflate your wing and struggling to find the inflator hose which is a pretty avoidable beginner mistake.

If such a scenario occurs, I'd argue that you could pop the single buckle and slip out of your bc faster than you could open the waist pockets and remove weights individually anyway. In other words, you CAN still ditch your weight...

On the other hand it's very common for weight belts to accidentally slip off at depth due to shrinking neoprene or buckle being tripped, which would likely lead to an uncontrolled ascent. If you are beyond Deco limits when that happens you're basically guaranteed to get decompression sickness at the least. So in my opinion putting your weight on a weight belt seems unsafe.

If they are on your back you will be less cluttered and can use them to improve trim depending on if you place them now or high.

For these reasons I put them on my tank straps, although I think the ideal location would be mounting onto the back of the backplate closer to my center of gravity.

Keep in mind I'm speaking more based on my own research/ opinions than experience

And for a data-based answer to the OP as to whether there is a point in having his weight in a ditchable position, see this thread:
Buoyancy, Balanced Rigs, Failures and Ditching – a comprehensive tool
The references from @Storker above show how passionate these discussions can get. But if you look at the data, there is a real case to be made for SOME weight to be ditchable underwater, in the event of a catastrophic equipment failure (e.g., torn or ruptured bcd bladder). I would respectfully disagree with one comment above that it's faster to get out of a rig than to ditch weight. And the one case where that's especially true is when you jump off the boat having forgotten to turn on your air (yes, it happens). No air to breathe after the one breath in your hoses from when you checked your tank pressure, no air to inflate your bcd, and you can't orally inflate because you're now descending due to the weight of the air you're carrying, despite being properly weighted.

This is probably going to start a fire.... but. If you are properly weighted in a recreational set up. Holding a full breath of air at the surface your head should be above the water. (This is where the fire squad will come in).
If I am properly weighted in an average 5mm wetsuit, to be neutral at 15 ft at the end of a dive with no air in my bcd (the whole purpose of being properly weighted, no?), then I will indeed float with the water at eye level with a normal breath at the end of a dive, and will float with my head above water if I inhale fully.
But at the beginning of a dive, I am carrying an additional 5-8 lb. of air which I will breathe off during the dive. I am negatively buoyant. Therefore, at the beginning of a dive, I cannot support my head above water without finning briskly with no air in my bcd. As a beginning diver, should I jump in the water with an incomplete equipment check and find that I cannot inflate my bcd (dump valve stuck open, air not turned on, old bladder rupture from force of entry with a fully inflated bcd), then I will greatly appreciate having ditchable weight. Hardly a marketing ploy. As for later in my diving career? I'll concede that many divers in certain setups dispense with ditchable weight.
My 2¢.

If I am properly weighted in an average 5mm wetsuit, to be neutral at 15 ft at the end of a dive with no air in my bcd (the whole purpose of being properly weighted, no?), then I will indeed float with the water at eye level with a normal breath at the end of a dive, and will float with my head above water if I inhale fully.
But at the beginning of a dive, I am carrying an additional 5-8 lb. of air which I will breathe off during the dive. I am negatively buoyant. Therefore, at the beginning of a dive, I cannot support my head above water without finning briskly with no air in my bcd. As a beginning diver, should I jump in the water with an incomplete equipment check and find that I cannot inflate my bcd (dump valve stuck open, air not turned on, old bladder rupture from force of entry with a fully inflated bcd), then I will greatly appreciate having ditchable weight. Hardly a marketing ploy. As for later in my diving career? I'll concede that many divers in certain setups dispense with ditchable weight.
My 2¢.
And the fire starts.... there are tons of videos on the internet. All from well respected names in the diving community. Watch Steve Martin’s video. Probably one of the best. Backs up what I have stated. Yes I work on a dive boat as a captain and a dive pro. I see 98% of the divers are overweighted. And most of them are waaaayyyy overweight. It’s an industry problem. And therefore ditchable weight is the bandaid to the problem. That’s the last I will reply to the firing.... I stated my opinion and have lots of proof to back it up. Do the work yourselves to find the correct way to dive.

Back
Top Bottom