Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although thrashing around at the surface to find the right weight is the book method, there is a far simpler one if you have an engineering type brain. And assuming you are confident in the weight used with the 3/2 and there will be no other changes.

Fill a trash can with water. Roll up your 3/2 with something like twine or duct tape. Place in trash can, swishing around thoroughly to purge trapped air (maybe swish before tying it up). Carefully place weights (easiest if in a pouch type weight belt) and add weight until the wetsuit starts to barely sink. Steady things gently, the weights will try to slide off one side or the other. Cannot recall what weight it took to sink my 3mm, but it was only a few pounds, IIRC.

In your case with a skin with no buoyancy (dunno about that, never wore one) the amount of weight used to sink the 3/2 would be what comes off. This assumes same-same tank buoyancy of course.

Have used this for years with new wetsuits to account for the buoyancy change from the old, compressed one. Same with other gear changes that might affect weighting. Works perfectly. Do not concern yourself with salt vs. fresh, does not matter when doing a delta measurement in the same medium. The possible difference is too small to bother with.

Just a quick update, I ended up using 12 lbs. or roughly 6% of my body weight. This worked well for me and I had no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom