Weight Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKicker

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All, thought I would ask yall a question. If I use 16lbs in a 5mm full suit in fresh water, what would be about the right weight for a 3mm in freshwater with the rest of my gear being the same.

I use about 8lbs when I wear a 3/2 full suit. It's tough to say what you would need. The best way would be to check your buoyancy before and after the dive. I would say you should wear atleast 12lbs and test it from there to slowly drop weight. Just make sure you're neutral at the safety stop. To see how to check your bouyancy search the posts for proper weighting. Other than that, there really isn't a set formula or anything.

try 3 pounds per mil of thickness for a rough estimate allow for hood, gloves etc. I find it works very good for myself.

Thanks for the suggestions, it will give me a starting point to go with.

16 lbs in a 5mm? seems like alot

Scubakicker--the best way to figure out what you need in the way of weighting for any gear is to do an in water weight check.

You could sink both suits in fresh water to see what it takes to make them neutral at the surface. Then you would know the difference for sure.

16lb in 5mm to heavy...9lb will be enough try in the pool before go

I will never understand how people can say a certain weight is too heavy or too light without knowing anything about the diver's body type/ experience/ skills.

Put me in a 5mm with 16 lbs and I guarantee you I will float like a cork.

Last week I was in a 7mm with a steel 72. I carried 34 pounds and you know what? It was the right weighting for me on that day with my body/experience/skills.

34lbs is ridiculous. I sink with 18lbs in a 6.5mm two-piece and an Al80. That's 12 on the belt and 6 on the SS backplate.
I also sink with just the backplate, in a 3mm and an Al80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom