Weight with new drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a newish drysuit diver. It's been a little while since I got my drysuit cert and I haven't dove in a few years. I just got my first suit and wondering what everyone would reccomend for a weight system. I'm currently diving a BC with integrated weight pouches, but I think I'm going to need more that they can provide.

You can use a weight belt or a weight harness. DUI makes a weight harness with dumpable weight pockets. I used to use this and liked it.

I am finding that I use about the same weight as I do with my 7 ml cold water diving set up

You're likely to need near 30 lbs to initially get going with your drysuit. That can be lessened as you progress and get more in tune with your buoyancy.

Add a weight belt that you can put about half of your weight on and put 1/3 in your integrated pouches and the rest in trim pouches on the back of your BC or on the tank. This will help to level you out so you're not head or foot heavy.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think, for now, I might pick up a basic belt to use, since I have weights for that. I'll do as boarderguy says with the rest in the bc/trim pouch

@Arkman

You want to ensure you distribute weight so that you can rest horizontally motionless. It is super easy to be foot heavy. Getting to trim often requires trim pockets on the higher cylinder strap. I hope your BCD has two.

...a basic belt to use...
Do yourself a huge favor, and get a rubber belt with Marseilles style buckle. They automatically compensate at depth, for exposure protection. This style buckle will not accidently come undone. 🥃
1686081437084.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom