Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have, but most of the belts we find around here were most likely from abalone divers (free divers). Sometimes the skill level and know-how with ab divers was a little questionable especially if they weren’t from around here and weren’t used to it, got bad info on setting themselves up etc. the belts I’ve found were probably lost on accident or dumped on the surface because the diver got overwhelmed and freaked out, maybe was way overweighted. I’ve seen guys with such massive weightbelts freediving that if they let go of their float tube they dropped straight to the bottom, not a safe or good thing at all. Most of the belts I find are huge! At least 35 lbs of weight or more. 7 mm is the thickest suit generally made and even in a brand new suit using that much tells me they were overweighted for ab diving. I have a whole bin full of salvaged weights.
No more ab diving though so probably no new weightbelts to find.

Too bad you can't make backplates out of lead....

I’ve never seen an abandoned weight belt on the bottom. I have found numerous faulty / abandoned weight pockets on the bottom. All my weight is split between a belt and non-ditchable on my rig. I try to have enough on the belt to counter exposure protection buoyancy and the balance in pockets on my cambands or backplate.
If lead lands on sand, it will disappear pretty quickly. Wave action and the high density will make them sink into a sandy bottom in short order.

Great idea!
I could create a mould and cast up a 30 lb. cold water backplate and win the heaviest backplate war once and for all.

You could probably easily modulate the weight depending on thickness. And it would mold to your body pretty nice.

I’ve never seen an abandoned weight belt on the bottom. I have found numerous faulty / abandoned weight pockets on the bottom. All my weight is split between a belt and non-ditchable on my rig. I try to have enough on the belt to counter exposure protection buoyancy and the balance in pockets on my cambands or backplate.
I found a belt with two 10 lb. weights on it sitting in the troughs of the sand as I approached the exit on a difficult beach here, Carmel River Beach on January 1 of last year. I carried it a short ways, thought about the notion of exiting with it, and left it. Likely good I did, as I got washed up and down the beach a few times from not exiting over far enough. The dive was at noon, I don't recall other divers exiting, but there might have been.

I think some lead on a belt is good in backmount, but 20 lb. is a lot.

The easiest way to deal with a "found" weightbelt is to just put it on. Easier than trying to carry it. Of course managing all the extra air or weight might be a challenge, but you still have use of your hands.

The easiest way to deal with a "found" weightbelt is to just put it on. Easier than trying to carry it. Of course managing all the extra air or weight might be a challenge, but you still have use of your hands.
In sidemount strapping a found weight belt on is an all-in commitment. And a bit of gymnastics to even get it on, inside the tanks, under the wing. 6 lb., sure. 20 lb. NO.

I wouldn't know about that. Another thing I have done is stripped some of the lead from a belt before salvaging it. You might have been able to deal with a 10 lb weight in your hand?

I wouldn't know about that. Another thing I have done is stripped some of the lead from a belt before salvaging it. You might have been able to deal with a 10 lb weight in your hand?
I might have held the belt with one weight on it. This is not a normal beach though and I was likely cold when I exited. The exit went from 6' to 1' in a few feet. Just before the exit I was being swept 3-4' by the surge. It's a junior sibling of Monastery beach. It is not sand but rather small berries. I got swept up and down the beach 3-4 times after being knocked down removing my fins. Adding a loop of webbing anchored in the beach once I'd dropped it would not have helped.

A flat calm beach, sure. Not this one. I was in sidemount but with tiny AL40s not normal size tanks.

Back
Top Bottom