Weighting Suggestions BP/W with 7mm or Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got my Oxycheq BP/W in the mail and am concerned about how to weight it. Right now I just have an AL tank and not sure when I will have the funds to purchase a Steel. Currently I own a Mare Pegasus with the Integrated weight system and I use only the integrated system because when I wear a belt using my 7mm suit or my drysuit I start off with the belt fitting very snuggly at the beginning to having to hang onto it to keep it from falling off after I reach depth. Right now I use 24lbs with my gear and either 7mm or drysuit. I know the plate weights 5lbs, I have 4lbs on ankle weights and was going to get 2 trim pockets for on my tank and that would hold 8lbs roughtly. That is a total of 17lbs. Currently that leaves me with zero ditchable weight. What methods are out there other than the overly priced Halcyon pockets. Anyone make similiar pockets that are cheaper? I have also seen other threads where there are ways to make your own pockets. Has anyone done this? Where did you get the tru-ballistic nylon or did you use another material? Any other possible options? I'd like to have some options before I hit the pool with my new gear. Rather get some time in with the new gear and not have to worry about how I'm going to weight it.

Thanks

This is what I found when I switched:

Before:
Jacket BC integrated weights w/ 7mil Farmer John, hood, gloves and boots in Fresh water. I needed around 24#'s total.

After:
OxyCheq Sig Series Single Wing (45# lift)
FredT Backplate (5#)
Single Tank Adapter (2#)
3.5# in ankle weights
6# total on trim weights located on TOP tank strap.

Using the same exposure protection, I still needed around 10# on the belt. In Salt I added 6-7 pounds but I should have added maybe 1# extra.

I am leaning towards a integrated type system, such as those that you see discussed on the board. Hope I helped.

EDITED: know what .. I never really answered your question. My bad.

Ki NINman,
I much prefer a weight harness over fitting weights all over my body and gear. Before BP/Wing I also used integrated I would never use a belt again for the very reasons you stated. I prefer the DUI harness as the Handles are a bright yellow and uses a ripcord style release. Most ot the other harnesses use velcro release, I also had similar system on my BC. I just do not trust velcro. You will find that carrying the weight with a harness is very comfortable when not in the water as well. Hope this helps.

chuckrt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom