Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobb

Reaction score
I am curious to see how much weight people use... I realize that it depends on body weight/fat/muscle etc. But a lot of people I spoke with, use 12 - 14 - 16 pounds of weight... I normally use 6# and sometimes 5#. I have been diving with a 3 mm exposure suit, flashlight, knife, Bc (non weight integrated) full foot fins, and gloves...
just curious..

Vastly depends on where I'm diving and with what protection, tank, and etc. But for quarry diving, my most frequent, I use 6lbs with a 3mm shorty and PST HP100. With the same system, I'll generally carry 12lbs in salt water, sometimes 10.

As WH said, it varies....

My statistics --

I wear a 7mm farmer john and jacket (resulting in 14mm around my torso) for salt water diving here in New England. I weigh 260 pounds -- pretty muscular and some fat ;-)

I typically use 40 lbs if diving my LP steel tank and 35 if diving with an AL 80.

when I was young and lean I could scuba dive in Cozumel with nothing but my speedo and 2 lbs. of weight........now I need 4 lbs. just to get me underwater when I'm snorkeling....AAAHHHH age-and fat.

for me, 12 lbs for full 3/2 one peice wetsuit, AL80, gloves, Zeagle Ranger, and beanie (want to try 10 next run).

And I add 3lbs when I am wearing my 2mil hooded chicken vest.

Bobb,

My stats: 6' 200 lbs--aged athlete (i.e., lots of the former muscle has softened).

I always dive in warm salt water--but some of the stuff I have read here is making me rethink that commitment.

Dive gear:

3mm Henderson Gold full wet suit w/ add on hood,and full booties---9-10 lbs.

3mm Henderson Gold full wet suit w/ 3mm Henderson vest, add on hood and full booties---11-12lbs.

ca. 2.5mm O'Neill Fleece w/add on hood and full booties---8 lbs.

I have other exposure suits, but rarely use them any more.

I usually do the first dive of the day with the greater wt. and then drop a pound. I try to use as little wt. as possible and very rarely have any air in my bc while underwater. The only "problem" with this approach is that once I am back at around 10' with about 1000 lbs of air or less, it is hard to redescend.

Joewr

Being a little on the chunky side 5'8 190lbs I will use 20 lbs with a 7 mil wetsuit, diving with Scubapro 71 steel tank, booties, gloves and beanie hood.

When I use my farmer john 3 mil I drop down to 12 lbs and a thinner pair of gloves, but all other gear is the same.

I use 12 lbs in warm water with 3mil suit. Went on cold water dive last week in 7mil two piece and alum tanks,wore 28 lbs. I like relaxing at safty stop, not fighting to stay down.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom