Weights on cam band vs plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She is currently diving a DSS wing, Transplate harness with a Oxycheq soft plate. The only thing I am changing is the plate. I will reuse everything else. Cam bands, wing, harness, rings, pockets, etc..

I forgot to mention we just got back from a trip using steel 100 tanks where she used 6 lbs on the upper cam bands. Did 10 dives, her trim and comfort was fine. Any differences moving the 6 lbs from the upper cam band to mounted on the plate ? I am thinking the weights on the plate being closer to the lungs vs. on the bands will have some kind of benefit ?

A weighted Halcyon STA is just shy of 3kgs.

When I do mount weights on the back they are on the cam bands. One upper and one lower. Positioned right up against the plate on opposite sides of each other. In pockets so that they can be switched as needed. There is no need to mount them on the plate. Doing it this way the center of gravity is not changed much at all.

On most plates, the lower cam band is nearly the same "height" as the waist band. If you put a weight pouch on the waist band all the way against the plate, aside from being in the front of the plate instead of the back, it is in nearly the same height position. Since its in your waist band, it is ditchable by simply opening the pouch and dropping.

Given you can ditch from a pouch on the waist band but not the lower cam band, why use a pouch on the lower cam band?

Last edited:
My wife currently uses 10-12 lbs of weight split on her waist and cam band pockets with a soft plate.

I just ordered a 5 lb steel backplate for her.

Any advantages or disadvantages to mounting the remaining 4-6 lbs on the backplate instead of the cam bands ?

I'm not sure anyone has actually answered your question, so I'll have a go at it. If I understand correctly, now she splits the weight between her back and waist, and when you get the steel plate, this will essentially replace the weight on her back. So you could more-or-less recreate her weight distribution by putting the remaining weight in pockets on the waist belt.

But ultimately you (her, really) will have to do some experimenting. I would start with the plate and a 3lb weight in each pocket on the waist belt. Then fine tune. More weight on the cambands will trim her a little more head-down, more wieght on the waist belt will trim her more head-up.

BTW, awap made some great straps for attaching weights to cambands. It's just a 7-8" strip of 2" webbing with some velcro; you thread the straps through the weight, and the leftover ends velcro together around the camband. Once everything is installed on the tank, the velcro is no longer holding the weight in place because the strap is clamped in place by the tight camband. It's hard to describe, and unfortunately awap is no longer participating on scubaboard.

The xs-scuba camband pockets work fine, and they're only a few bucks. I use them on my waistbelt.

On most plates, the lower cam band is nearly the same "height" as the waist band. If you put a weight pouch on the waist band all the way against the plate, aside from being in the front of the plate instead of the back, it is in nearly the same height position. Since its in your waist band, it is ditchable by simply opening the pouch and dropping.

Given you can ditch from a pouch on the waist band but not the lower cam band, why use a pouch on the lower cam band?

I notice a big difference between weight on either camband and in the pockets on my waistbelt. I think Jim's idea of putting one weight on each camband is an attempt to spread the weight around and approximate the feel of a steel plate. I do the same thing, but more for convenience than anything else. It's just easier to put the weight on the side of the camband that doesn't have the buckle or leftover webbing.

I recently went diving with lead on my waist and ditched the pockets after the 1st tank and wore a belt instead for the 2nd one. They kept sliding around and trying to flip me over sideways.

Thanks for the suggestions. Won't get in the water until early July. I already have weight pockets. They can be mounted on cam band, waist strap or zip tied on plate. On the plate seemed almost the same as on the cam band, so I am scratching that idea.

To keep waist pockets in place I put them in between the plate and waist/hip d-rings. That prevents the pockets from moving.

For trim purposes, I will try pockets on the upper cam bands for the 1st dive. Depending on how that works, I can switch to waist or lower cam band.

Halocline, what is the big difference you experienced between cam band vs waist ?

A few years ago I dove splitting the cam band pockets on upper and lower on opposite sides and it felt odd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom