Weights on cam band vs plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got integrated weight pockets on my harness and trim weight pockets on my cam bands. I find this modular approach works very well for me. Depending on the exposure protection and the additional gear I take down with me I can tweak my weighting and distribution accordingly - and ditch if needed.

Last edited:
To keep waist pockets in place I put them in between the plate and waist/hip d-rings. That prevents the pockets from moving.

Won't work for me as I have a slider on one side, I pull the shoulder strap out all the way to hip d-ring. Also, on the last dive I didn't thread in the right hip d-ring: nothing to attach, and needn't have bothered with the left one either. I ended up holding the console over the shoulder all the time anyway.

Won't work for me as I have a slider on one side, I pull the shoulder strap out all the way to hip d-ring. Also, on the last dive I didn't thread in the right hip d-ring: nothing to attach, and needn't have bothered with the left one either. I ended up holding the console over the shoulder all the time anyway.
Not sure which slider and plate you use. With the Oxycheq soft plate, I loosely zip tied the pocket webbing loop to the plate metal slider loop. Webbing was a little harder to slide, but it still did and the pockets stayed put.

owb-01-04ul.jpg

Last edited:
Halocline, what is the big difference you experienced between cam band vs waist ?

A few years ago I dove splitting the cam band pockets on upper and lower on opposite sides and it felt odd.

More weight on the cambands puts me more head down. I don't notice too much difference between upper and lower, but then again I haven't specifically experimented to try to determine differences between them.

The best is the steel plate; it spreads the weight around evenly over your back. Weights on the cambands can approximate it, but I think there's a slight difference, I guess I would describe it as stability.

Not sure which slider and plate you use. With the Oxycheq soft plate, I loosely zip tied the pocket webbing loop to the plate metal slider loop. Webbing was a little harder to slide, but it still did and the pockets stayed put.

Ah. No, mine's basic Al plate and the webbing is hard to slide without an extra thingy.

Back
Top Bottom