Weights/weight plates in a carry-on bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any experience trying to carry weights on a plane. I'm not worried about the weight, but rather whether it's allowed or not. Specifically, I want to carry the DSS weight plates.

I'm just afraid the guy at the gate is going to tell me they are a blunt weapon or something, and by then my bags are already checked. On the other hand, it really seems like they should be allowed. Anyone have any experiences? Thanks! :)

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any experience trying to carry weights on a plane. I'm not worried about the weight, but rather whether it's allowed or not. Specifically, I want to carry the DSS weight plates.

I'm just afraid the guy at the gate is going to tell me they are a blunt weapon or something, and by then my bags are already checked. On the other hand, it really seems like they should be allowed. Anyone have any experiences? Thanks! :)

Gregg

A couple of thoughts.

I don't have experience with this, so two suggestions.

Contact TSA and ask them if they are allowed.

Carry on something that you can use to check the weights with if necessary so they won't be loose. The airline will check bags security checkin I believe.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:

Gregg

Be careful, it's up to the TSA Super to make judgement calls regarding carry on size/weight. Found out the hard way: Had an empty pony tank (valve off) tucked inside my carry on. Wouldn't let me take it on due to it's weight(although I've done it before no prob). Discovered this was just his call.

Rap

OK, called TSA (I didn't think anyone would be around now and I'm leaving tomorrow). The lady I spoke with said that weights need to be checked. The website doesn't mention them. So, that's the word I got.

Maybe this thread will help someone else down the line. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :)

As I recall, there is also limit weight for the carry on bag. The airline might not allow it, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom