Weird -- Dive Lights as Weapon Mounted Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarrelRoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So this is kind of a shot in the dark, I'm hoping there's some members here who are also gun enthusiasts like me.

I've been beating my head against a wall looking for a high quality, but not ridiculously priced set of weapon lights for mounting on a Mossberg Shotgun and a LaRue .308. For those that don't know, both of these weapons are very nasty on recoil, so shock-proof a must, and a very severe amount of water resistance is a must for my needs.

Much like the dive world, once you tag a light with "Weapon light" you instantly add 150%-200%, especially a company called Surefire. They are, by far, the best, but they know it, and won't even allow online authorized retailers to offer discounts. It's pretty maddening.

So any suggestions? For frame of reference this is the ideal light for what I'm looking for in the weapon world:

P5197095.jpg

Basic specs for what I'm looking for:

Cree LED
200+ Lumen, focused beam
Preferably CR123 battery, but flexible for the right light
Tail-cap operation. Multi function preferable, but programmable or always bright preferred.
Waterproof (obviously since I'm here)
Extremely shock-proof
=< $100 per light would be ideal

If I could shrink my Intova Ultra Novas they would be absolutely perfect. If anything fits the bill it'll probably be a back-up light. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Also, if there's a suggestion on a cheap casing with a Cree LED drop-in kit I could make work, that would be awesome too.

Any way, shot in the dark. Thanks for the help in advance if anyone has ever had the same idea.

send a pm to da aquamaster. he's a gun enthusiast & i'm sure could steer you right.

Cool deal man, I'll do that. Thanks.

That is a bad ass light set up

Much like the dive world, once you tag a light with "Weapon light" you instantly add 150%-200%, especially a company called Surefire. They are, by far, the best, but they know it, and won't even allow online authorized retailers to offer discounts. It's pretty maddening.

Surefire weapons lights are spendy for a reason, they're worth it, and their dependability and warranty/replacement policy is second to none because of it. If this is a personal safety use situation, do you really want to bet your life on a discount solution? if this is recreational use, then that's a different story.

Surefire weapons lights are spendy for a reason, they're worth it, and their dependability and warranty/replacement policy is second to none because of it. If this is a personal safety use situation, do you really want to bet your life on a discount solution? if this is recreational use, then that's a different story.

I have 2 Surefires, one on my HD HK45 and my HD Mossberg 590.

I have a knock-around AR15 I was looking to put something bright and cheap on, as it's my "ranch gun" so to speak... Something you can carry around in the back of the truck when you're out on the land for use if you see something that you don't want on the land. (Snakes, hogs, big cats, coyotes, etc) Chance are, though, this AR is gonna get the crap kicked out of it over time, so you don't want to put any $500 accessories on it.

And I understand this is Scubaboard and all, but spare me the "life depends on it" speeches. If anything, I'm looking for something more durable than what Surefire has to offer.

Helloo!!! Gun Nut Divers ! lol... im one myself... a long time gun nut ... but a newbie diver..

It did cross my mind to use a dive light as a weapon light. For shotguns.. maybe not.. shotguns produce a lot of recoil.. even surefire advises removing the flashlight during practice.
for ARs... i think it's a splendid idea!

I'm looking for something more durable than what Surefire has to offer.

You won't. If you don't want to take my experience as an example, visit any military forum (a real one, not ar15.com) and see what is being used at the tip of the spear.

Intova has their new "tactical light" as their replacement to the old Wide angle dive light. It's 220 lumens now and uses CR123. 1 inch rail and a silent tail switch. It's also waterproof to 400 feet and smaller than the Ultras. I just bought one myself, not as a gun light but as a general light. Tovatec ITAC tactical torch waterproof flashlight | Intova

You won't. If you don't want to take my experience as an example, visit any military forum (a real one, not ar15.com) and see what is being used at the tip of the spear.

Is this the part where we compare service records?

Clammy:
Intova has their new "tactical light" as their replacement to the old Wide angle dive light. It's 220 lumens now and uses CR123. 1 inch rail and a silent tail switch. It's also waterproof to 400 feet and smaller than the Ultras. I just bought one myself, not as a gun light but as a general light. Tovatec ITAC tactical torch waterproof flashlight | Intova

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom