Well, I couldn't figure out WHERE to ask this +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iruka

Contributor
Reaction score
Guam, right by the beach so the typhoons can find
# of dives
question, but I've shown a couple photos here, so I'll give it a shot. Anybody know how to make text (ie kanji, Japanese characters) into jpeg files? The reason is, I have a website in English, but most of my customers are Japanese. The American website host "does not support" kanji. In the meantime, I've done a few pages writing out the text using English letters, but that's not an ideal solution. My partner is working on a Japanese site, but she's even slower than me, though that's hard to believe.

I've tried to type in ".jpg" on the file extension when I save text documents, but that doesn't seem to work. Obviously, I could write out text on a whiteboard, take a photo, and use that, but that seems an awkward way to go about it....and I'm worried that treating text as jpegs will make the file size so big that pages will take forever to load, which I don't want.

Anyhow, just thought I'd give this a shot.

Chris
www.letsdiveguam.com

If you use MSWord and have the languages loaded can you type out what you want and then cut and paste that into Paint or Photoshop? Actually I think you can download some kanji fonts (not sure where) and then use those fonts directly in Photoshop and save that as a JPEG. GIF may be better if it is just text you want to post, should give you a smaller file size.

Hi-

Well I'm going to assume a couple of things - that you have Word installed and a Japanese IME. That you have some graphics software.

1. Open Word - switch to Japanese - and type in the Kanji.
2. Select the text and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C)
3. Open Paint from Accessories.
4. Make a text box on the default white background (size depends on how much text of course)
5. Paste the Kanji into the box.
6. Save the image as a .bmp file
7. Open the image in any graphics/photo package and crop the white space to the right size.
8. Re-save the image as whatever you want -BMP JPG etc

Sorry boney - you posted as I was typing!!!

Boney & Kim, thanks a lot for the quick replies....I'll try that out tonight. I DO have Japanese text on my computer この 日本語 お 読みますか. I just typed out something in Japanese characters, but don't know yet if they'll show up okay on this message board. I also have "Paint" and your instructions seem like I should be able to do that. If it works out okay, I'll give you a free boat dive if you show up in Guam someday!

Iruka:
If it works out okay, I'll give you a free boat dive if you show up in Guam someday!
Well - that's nice :cheers: ! As it happens I probably have enough airmiles for a trip to Guam at the end of the year or so!!

By the way - don't forget that you don't need to use a white background - you should be able to fill the text box with any colour - maybe better on a web page.

Iruka:
The American website host "does not support" kanji.
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Why would the host need to support kanji? It's not displaying the characters, the client is. All the host does is serve up whater is in the .html file.

Try putting somthing like this in the <head> section of your webpage:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

Check out http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#web for more information.

I don't think it's a problem of the service provider - it's because anyone who views the site - and does not have the correct IME/fonts installed will get gibberish! That's why a picture will work while the fonts won't:

&#12371;&#12398;&#12288;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12288;&#12362;&#12288;&#35501;&#12415;&#12414;&#12377;&#12363;

basically - if you can read the above it's ok - but I don't think many people can!

KimLeece:
I don't think it's a problem of the service provider - it's because anyone who views the site - and does not have the correct IME/fonts installed will get gibberish! That's why a picture will work while the fonts won't:

&#12371;&#12398;&#12288;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12288;&#12362;&#12288;&#35501;&#12415;&#12414;&#12377;&#12363;

basically - if you can read the above it's ok - but I don't think many people can!
Anyone who can actually read it will have the correct language packs installed. Why would you go to the trouble and bandwidth to create tons of pictures for someone who couldn't read them anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom