Well, that was a new one...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When mocking other gear configurations it's best not to make a blunder like mentioning the octo being on a long hose bungied under the neck. If people didn't know better they'd think you didn't know what you were talking about

Whatever. I wasn't mocking the gear configuration anyway. I was mocking all of the DIR elitists that chime in here all the time with "You're going to die if..." nonsense. Honestly, when it comes to DIR I cheerfully admit that I DON'T know what I'm talking about.

I was certified to dive in 1982 and with over 500 logged dives I'm still alive and know next to nothing about DIR. Just like 99% of the rest of the diving world.

-Charles

Whatever. I wasn't mocking the gear configuration anyway. I was mocking all of the DIR elitists that chime in here all the time with "You're going to die if..." nonsense. Honestly, when it comes to DIR I cheerfully admit that I DON'T know what I'm talking about.
So, you actually take the effort to post about things you know nothing about? Why?

Can you point me to a post where a DIR practitioner has stated someone will die if....? As you state it happens all the time, it should be easy, yet I can't recall reading such statements.
I was certified to dive in 1982 and with over 500 logged dives I'm still alive and know next to nothing about DIR. Just like 99% of the rest of the diving world.

-Charles
I was certified in 78' and have been diving since 77', with over 1200 dives. At about 1100 dives, I found a better way to measure the success of a dive other than "I'm still alive.".

Jesus man, you sound like you were tied up in bungee and whipped with a long hose.

btw, I'm not DIR.

-Charles

99% of the diving world was certified in 1982, has over 500 logged dives and is still alive? Odd statistic.

99% of the diving world was certified in 1982, has over 500 logged dives and is still alive? Odd statistic.

did you know that 99% of statistics are made up 87% of the time?

did you know that 99% of statistics are made up 87% of the time?

Well I was certified before 1982, have well over 500 logged dives, a fair amount of knowledge of DIR and I'm still alive so in my case his statistic is only 25% correct. However, when I die his statistic will be 100% incorrect.

Well I was certified before 1982, have well over 500 logged dives, a fair amount of knowledge of DIR and I'm still alive so in my case his statistic is only 25% correct. However, when I die his statistic will be 100% incorrect.

so you are saying that 25% of the time he is 100% correct?

But what does this say about bolt snaps and colored webbing?

nah, nah, you guys got all wrong, number wise.

So here goes... 25% of the 99% of which 87%.. . SO let see, 25, takes the 5 into the 9, carry the 7... minus another 9, bring the 8 down....ahhhhh, what the heck. I say statistically, everyone will die eventually. Now that is 100% statistically correct and you can take that to the bank :).

Back on track, I have my octo on necklace, so are my two diving kids. Don't care and don't mind what other say but I know exactly where our octos are everytime. Got to use mine once when my dive partner OOA. Glad it was there for me. I check my zip tie on my mouth piece... most of the time and carry extra ties in my dive bag. And I am no DIR either.

Wow, you mean your octo wasn't on a long hose and bungied around your neck and you LIVED!

You can make fun if you want, but an emergency is not the time to play "Where's my reg?"

Mine is always either an Air-2 which I can find no matter what, or a bungied backup right under my face.

Terry

nah, nah, you guys got all wrong, number wise.

So here goes... 25% of the 99% of which 87%.. . SO let see, 25, takes the 5 into the 9, carry the 7... minus another 9, bring the 8 down....ahhhhh, what the heck. I say statistically, everyone will die eventually. Now that is 100% statistically correct and you can take that to the bank :).

Back on track, I have my octo on necklace, so are my two diving kids. Don't care and don't mind what other say but I know exactly where our octos are everytime. Got to use mine once when my dive partner OOA. Glad it was there for me. I check my zip tie on my mouth piece... most of the time and carry extra ties in my dive bag. And I am no DIR either.

Are you saying that you wear your two diving kids on a necklace?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom