Well this stinks!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2004 seems to be the definate. Everything else seems to be proposals and there isn't anything purely spelled out yet. However I'm sure even in the commercial fisherman went out and fished the max 1.24 million traps, that wouldn't make much of a change from the proposed 460K trap cap, it would just make changes in who gets the number of traps.

*shrug* I've read this thing 3 times, and I've got a couple more reads before I completely follow exactly what they are proposing.

Take a look at Table 4. I think that's what they are proposing... with an additional reduction coming later to drop the trap numbers down another 25%. I think they plan on doing that by imposing a 10% hit on transferred traps. e.g. you transfer 10 traps, and the receiver only gets 9.

decapoddiver once bubbled...
I'll be there.

Cool. I'd appreciate if you could report back what you find out. I definately can't make the monday one, and I have another committment on the tuesday one, but I might be able to blow off that...

Come on folks! We all seem to agree that the diver's voice isn't being heard. Let's make an effort to be there. Thanks in advance.

Spectre once bubbled...
Notice of Public Hearings

They will be discussing this [as well as proposed licensing for scallop diving] On Feb 3rd and 4th.

These are also "Proposals", so go ahead and go fight 'em.

Yeah... we are all saying the same things (roughly) - that this is not a plus for us and is most likely not scientifically warented.

Spectre, keep me informed of where and when these hearings are going on... I'll try to take a couple hours off and be there.

Let the lobster divers be heard!

So any word yet on these hearings? Turns out I might actually be doing some research on this issue/debate for my day job... the fisheries issue and policy change topic, that is.

A somewhat related question:
I have not yet had a lobster license and I want one for this coming summer. When do I need to apply for it?

m

There are details on the link that I posted. Unfortunately the one on Cape Ann is that first monday of february [so we both have prior engagements]. The other one is in Plymouth on tuesday night. Once again I have a prior committment, which I considered blowing off until I realized Plymouth is one hell of a drive for me to get back from.

It was brought up at the MetroWest Dive Club last night, and there seemed to be a good showing of support for people heading to the one at Cape Ann.

As far as lobster licenses go, I think I got mine in April or something like that. You can get one basically any time during the year, but of course it expires in January. I at least think that's the case.

If you dig around the mass division of fishing and wildlife page [or whatever the name is...] you can find a link to where you can get your license online. I'll try to find the link when I get a chance [if someone else doesn't have it handy].

having dealt wit the State before, usually "No action" means no decision. Sounds to me like they haven't decided yet. I hope I'm wrong:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom