Were you taught dive planning using tables or computers?

Were you taught tables or computer & were you taught how to plan a dive?

• I was taught tables, but not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • I was taught tables and was taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 183 70.9%
  • I was taught to use a computer and was not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I was taught a computer and was taught how to plan a dive with the computer

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Some other variation, please explain

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bwahahahaha....they didn't even have computers back then. Tables all the way!

My friend is the type of person who reads everything, and I know she read all of the material. The shop told her to skip the section in the book on tables and to read the computer booklet instead. She did not feel confident in how to work a computer. They kept telling her they would teach her. They did go through it briefly, but it was very brief (and it was in her AOW dives). When she looked at it underwater you could not read it. I tried to as well and could not make it out.
If this is true, then her instruction did not meet standards, and they should be reported.

Yup, as others have stated PADI most definitely still teaches tables. I just completed OW this past weekend. We learned tables and what I would consider the basics of diving planning, ie, how much residual nitrogen you'll have after multiple dives and how long each successive dive can be and what your ending pressure group is.

The dive computer was mentioned but there was no lecture or reading on it. We had the option to rent a dive computer for the checkout but I felt I didn't need a new distraction while still figuring out how to breathe underwater.

I'm curious about your friend's checkout dives as my logbook required an instructor signoff that the instructor wouldn't complete until we'd filled in what our pressure groups were at the end of each dive. Can a dive computer provide this or is this not a true PADI checkout requirement?

I'm curious about your friend's checkout dives as my logbook required an instructor signoff that the instructor wouldn't complete until we'd filled in what our pressure groups were at the end of each dive. Can a dive computer provide this or is this not a true PADI checkout requirement?
A computer does not do pressure groups at all.

The PADI course can be taught with a computer instead of tables. I have never done it, but I did read the course outline when it was introduced. I want to emphasize that it is a different course--not just skipping the table stuff and reading your dive computer pamphlet! The computer OW course is very thorough in what it teaches about computer usage, including dive planning.

That is why I said that the course as was described a couple of posts ago was a standards violation that should be reported.

Her instructor signed the dive log and filled in a bit of the information himself (nothing to do with pressure groups). They actually didn't go over how to fill out the log book. A couple students were asking me what they need to do to fill in the log book.

In addition, I got a bit more clarification from my friend. She was not provided the table in her packet and I don't know if the store even has them to sell. They told her to read the small computer manual instead of the tables section. They said they wouldn't be going over the knowledge review in that section because none of them had the tables to do it. My friend did read the section anyway, but in class they didn't go over it.

I learned to sort of plan a dive with a computer in my OW course and to plan a single dive with the US navy tables. After OW I taught myself how to use NAUI tables and learned more about gas management through NWGratefulDiver's "Grateful Diver’s School of Diving" website.

I suspect the 75% who claim they were taught tables and how to plan a dive are only answering that with regard to no-deco limits. In my training (tables) I heard the mantra "plan your dive and dive your plan" and I was handed the "recreational dive planner" but I would assert that what I consider good dive planning today wasn't even remotely covered in the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom