Were you taught dive planning using tables or computers?

Were you taught tables or computer & were you taught how to plan a dive?

• I was taught tables, but not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • I was taught tables and was taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 183 70.9%
  • I was taught to use a computer and was not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I was taught a computer and was taught how to plan a dive with the computer

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Some other variation, please explain

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught the combo OW course. Learned on both computer and tables for use and planning! Also took the combo Nitrox course and learned both computer and tables. About to take the altitude specialty and will be doing both computer and tables on that too. :)

We were taught both. We had the final test with the table versions, all of us finished the OWD course being able to count the surface time and plan a dive, but our instructor also taught us all there is about diving with computer.

Wow I feel cheated after reading these posts! I got certified a few weeks ago and we skipped tables entirely, dive planning wasn't really covered either. When asked about it, instructor/shop said 'just do whatever your computer tells you.' I'm an electronics engineer and love all modern gadgets, but for me it's like using a calculator for math you don't understand, sure you can punch numbers in but you really don't get what you're looking at. I had to learn the tables via youtube videos.

I learned the Tables (PADI RDP), and used them for about the first year. Just recently changed over to a computer.

Adam

OW (SDI) We were taught & tested on how to plan a series of dives/surface intervals using tables. We were also taught & tested on how to plan a dive (and then subsequent dives) using a computer. Same when I took the SDI Nitrox course.

I'm going to Bonaire again this November for 2 weeks and I've already planned my first 6 days of dives, including surface intervals, using tables. When I do the dives I will use the computer because it will give me longer dive times and shorter surface intervals due to it's continuous monitoring of actual depth.

I did the pre-planning because I've gone to some of the sites and want to re-visit them and missed some sites last time that I want to make sure to get to this time. I've also used the Nitrox tables to see how it would affect dive times and surface intervals. Gave me something to do over winter when you can walk on the lakes here.

NAUI Tables from the start.
Got a computer shortly after, but was told to always have backup plans calculated from the tables in case the computer fails.
Now I have a computer, backup computer, and backup table/deco plans on my wrist slate in case everything fails.

Wow I feel cheated after reading these posts! I got certified a few weeks ago and we skipped tables entirely, dive planning wasn't really covered either. When asked about it, instructor/shop said 'just do whatever your computer tells you.' I'm an electronics engineer and love all modern gadgets, but for me it's like using a calculator for math you don't understand, sure you can punch numbers in but you really don't get what you're looking at. I had to learn the tables via youtube videos.

If this was PADI, please report this to PADI. It is a standards violation. If you were not taught using the tables or the eRDP, then you should have received a supplemental book explaining the use of computers. You should have had to answer different questions from that book on your knowledge reviews. You should have taken a different quiz and final exam. If you do not report this, then other people will be short changed as well.

Ph: 800 729 7234 (US and Canada)

Back
Top Bottom