Wes Skiles death - July 21, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they dont come out with some facts then we are left to speculate and no good ever comes of that!

Some facts can be worse than no facts at times, because one little thing gets analyzed and over analyzed until it bears no resemblance to the original finding.

I actually think we do have somewhat of a "right" to the info. I would use a different word than "right". But when someone becomes famous in our society and makes his money off of the people's following, and then has an accident, there is generally and understood demand for accident investigation and closure. To hide the info only invites people outside our industry to criticize and potentially regulate our field. Would you like some politician to propose legislation against rebreathers? gas mixing? They have tried before. A congressman from this state of Massachusetts Delahunt opened a whole can of worms following deaths on the Doria. We need to show we are responsibly supervising our sport, learning from mistakes and preventing future ones. That is the whole reason we do accident investigation. To play Ostrich only invites trouble. Think of what Wes would have wanted us to do?

Any of the CCR guys here have any thoughts on the gear he was using?

Would have to see a good picture of it before making any comment. Reportedly "No Bailout." Not good practice no matter who you are. And, was there a buddy?

It definitely gives one pause to think that if such an accomplished diver as Wes could die in the middle of a dive, it could happen to any of us on any dive.
Thinking of such possibilities is good thing IMO. We are all human, we all make mistakes even divers as accomplished as Wes. And to be clear i am not Implying he made a mistake.

We all know diving can be an unforgiving thing. Stop paying attention to the right thing at the wrong time and buh bye. It's good to be reminded of that from time to time. Helps one keep on track and in the groove.

Any of the CCR guys here have any thoughts on the gear he was using?

An Optima - yeah - their crap.... :popcorn: But you'd expect that from a Meg diver...

Whatever info can be gleaned will makes it way....

I was just commenting on your banging of the gavel shouting 'why don't we know - damnit'... That makes it seem like this is your first dance.... Your expectations are totally out of alignment with reality and how slow the investigational process can take.

I can't help but think that we will not ever really know what happened to Wes.

As with most diving accidents, in recent years and particularly where I live (Florida) I have yet to hear the cause of death of 99% of these accidents. A very experienced dive aquaintance (in 2008) passed away diving off Jupiter, and, after the days immediately following her death, no additional info was ever released. We really didn't learn anything. I'm expecting the same outcome here. Questions only, no answers.

The O2 sensors are the most unreliable part of the whole system and they are what we rely on the most. That's why we use 3 of them and change them out/replace every year. And, TEST them every day before diving.

I am a vintage diver, amature biologist, and I enjoy testing gear and new swimming concepts. I have never used a CCR in spite of being a diver since 1959. I am also an industrial hygienist. I have no knowledge of Mr. Skiles death whatsoever, and will not speculate. But I will give two comments on the above information on O2 sensors.

This comment by rigdiver resonated with me as I just read the following in our LinkedIn section for Industrial Hygiene at the American Society of Safety Engineers:
Confined Spaces Question ANSI/ASSE Z117.1 - Daily Bump Test versus Calibration
Had a good question: "Tim can you tell me what Z117.1 states in regards to bump testing and calibration? Does Z117.1 require calibration prior to each use or per a preset schedule?"

Answer from Z117.1 is below. Please note that calibation versus a bump test has been one of the most debated question within the Z117 Confined Spaces Committee. Hopefully this will be of some assistance. And, I am not making this a commercial but the link to the Z117.1 standard is attached at the end!!!

Instrument Reliability Verification. Calibration of direct reading portable atmospheric testing instruments shall be conducted according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, or more often if necessary because of the instruments usage to ensure accuracy is maintained. At a minimum, a function check (e.g., bump test or a practice meeting the manufacturer’s recommendations) shall be done prior to each days use.

Full Span Calibration – Should be done in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.

The other comment is that if there is a CCR oxygen sensor malfunction, resulting in lower oxygen levels, and the diver ascends the oxygen partial pressure will decrease, perhaps to levels that cannot sustain consciousness. This happens in oxygen deficient atmospheres for confined spaces, and happens with free diving as a cause of shallow water blackout. It could also happen with CCR.

Again, this is in no way saying anything about this particular accident.

SeaRat

To know that we'd have to know the diluent concentrations that Wes was diving.

Netmage,

I wasn't "banging a gavel", nor did I use the word "damnit". I didnt even say "why dont we Know". I have been diving since 1975 and this is certainly not my first "dance" with diving death. Been on several body recoveries. In fact if you read my last post you would see my cause for concern re outside legislation.

In a sense I am pushing for "us" to remain in control of our sport. Despite that I do not use CCR, and despite you flaming and old very experienced diver like myself, I will fight for your "right" to use one.

I actually think we do have somewhat of a "right" to the info.

We have no right to any information. We are not his family, nor his close friends. Any information his family chooses to make public is their own decision, and they have the right to do whatever they feel comforts them the most. As soon as he passed, this stopped being about him, and started being about his family. No matter how much of a public figure someone is, it gives us no rights concerning their next of kin.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom