Wes Skiles death - July 21, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second diver surfaced shortly and didn't see him.
Diver descended and found him motionless on the reef.

Where did you read the above? I only saw that the other two divers were getting ready to ascend (I'm assuming this means they were heading back underwater to an anchor/shot/mooring line) when they found Wes motionless.

Where did you read the above? I only saw that the other two divers were getting ready to ascend (I'm assuming this means they were heading back underwater to an anchor/shot/mooring line) when they found Wes motionless.

That was paraphrased from several different sources. The last report I read said that they found him as they were preparing to ascend, rather than ascending and finding him missing.

That was paraphrased from several different sources. The last report I read said that they found him as they were preparing to ascend, rather than ascending and finding him missing.

Yes that is what they are saying here as well. Although they were not diving a very wide area. He was spotted on the bottom as the other divers were preparing to ascend or in the process of ascending.

I also understand now that the Nat Geo shoot had completed but he and some other independents had stayed to do more work.

Deputies: Underwater photographer Wes Skiles dies

Staff report Renowned underwater photographer Wes Skiles died while diving off the Palm Beach County coast. | Gainesville.com

Published: Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 9:40 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 11:08 a.m.

Renowned underwater photographer Wes Skiles died Wednesday while diving off Florida's east coast, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office confirmed Thursday afternoon.

Skiles, 52, of High Springs, was pronounced dead after he was found motionless at the bottom of a reef Wednesday afternoon.

Skiles had been diving with others and filming underwater about three miles east of the Boynton Beach Inlet, said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera.

Skiles apparently alerted the other divers that he was ascending because he was out of film, Barbera said. The others continued in the water but later decided to ascend.

"On their way to the surface, they found him at the bottom of the reef motionless," Barbera said.

The man was rushed to the surface, and CPR was administered.

Barbera said the man was taken to an area hospital and was pronounced dead.

The incident occurred at about 3 p.m.

Residents of the High Springs area expressed sadness Thursday to learn of the death of a man who had done so much to promote cave diving at area springs.

“He really had a large part in putting this area on the map.” said Mark Wray, manager of the Ginnie Springs Resort.

Skiles was instrumental in helping to map the caves and develop safety rules for diving at the springs, Wray said. Skiles' photos on the walls of the resort shop and brochures were a testament to his involvement with the springs.

“He had a vision and a way of seeing things,” Wray said. “What he did was bring his vision to the rest of us.”

Jarrod Jablonski, owner of the Extreme Exposure dive shop in High Springs, said Skiles' films such as “Water's Journey” have helped increase awareness of the springs as well as conservation efforts.

“A lot of this stuff is really out of sight, out of mind for people," Jablonski said. "He gave voice to something that is easy to ignore for a lot of people.”

A woman at the Karst Productions, the underwater film and videography company owned by Skiles and headquartered in High Springs, answered the phone early Thursday but said they were not taking media calls at this time.

The Sheriff's Office reported Skiles had been filming for National Geographic. But the organization reported shooting had finished. "He had been shooting on a National Geographic television production, which had concluded," said Ellen Stanley, vice president of communications for the National Geographic Society.

A statement from the organization, released Thursday afternoon, said, "National Geographic has learned of the tragic death of Wes Skiles, the accomplished underwater photographer, cinematographer and explorer with whom we've worked frequently. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Department is investigating the incident, which occurred following the conclusion of a scientific research expedition related to marine life off the east coast of Florida. Our thoughts are with Wes' family."

Barbera said the death investigation into the incident was ongoing Thursday.

Thursday, July, 22, 2010
1500PM

The Skiles family has asked me to distribute this statement:

Wes Skiles died while diving off West Palm Beach on Wednesday, July 21.

He was conducting a routine filming dive when the accident occurred. No one else was injured.

There are no further details regarding the accident at this time. The exact cause has not yet been determined and we are awaiting official reports.

Wes has been a tireless advocate for springs, springsheds and the conservation and protection of Florida’s water resources.

At the time of his death, he was excited about the upcoming issue of National Geographic Magazine, which features his photographs and the cover shot. We appreciate all of the concern and outpouring of support.

We celebrate his extraordinary life and ask you to do the same.

The family requests that you respect their privacy at this time.

Memorial arrangements will be announced in the near future.

Thank you. Jill Heinerth

We recovered his camera this afternoon. When the accident occured, they were diving on the outside of a reef which had around 20 feet of releif and a maximum depth of around 75 ft.

It felt good to be able to help in some small way, but it was really a sad feeling to be ascending with the camera which contains the last video he will ever shoot.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Post #3 updated with new dive information

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom