Wes Skiles Noted photographer's death will remain a mystery, medical examiner says

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the victim drowns, doesn't that pretty much take on the "Cause of Death" in most of these diving incidents? Doesn't drowning essentially also drown out the other factors? I mean the coroner really doesn't have the same interest as beginner divers who seem completely fixated on a divers death so they feel better about their favorite pastime activity? In most diving related accidents, the cause is rarely known, even when diving experts can review the case, since almost always the victim is ultimately killed because they drowned.

Insurance companies have a vested interest in the 'true' cause of death as most policies have an accidental death rider. "Drowning" is an accident, heart attack is not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the victim drowns, doesn't that pretty much take on the "Cause of Death" in most of these diving incidents? Doesn't drowning essentially also drown out the other factors? I mean the coroner really doesn't have the same interest as beginner divers who seem completely fixated on a divers death so they feel better about their favorite pastime activity? In most diving related accidents, the cause is rarely known, even when diving experts can review the case, since almost always the victim is ultimately killed because they drowned.

From my tiny bit of understanding it is up to the cornor to determine the cause of death, the mechanism of death, and the manner of death.

Heartbreaking :( I really wish there was some explanation.

This teaches me as a new diver there should never be a time when I am too comfortable, always be on your toes! I will never forget this.

*Edit* - what I really wanted to convey is no matter what experience level I get to I know I am not exempt from tragedy and I should never take it for granted.

Last edited:
I learned something valuable from this accident: it's probably best to not solo on a rebreather: not even just to surface.

We lost Rob Davies (BigJet Driver) in much the same way. He ascended alone and died on the way up.

My experience in these types of accidents the easiest way out with water in the lungs is drowning. However, what ever the cause the diving community lost a a true explorer and a great photographer.
I truely felt the same way when Rick Frehsee passed a few years ago, asking myself the question why?

My final thoughts are something I heard a long time ago after a diving accient which still stays with me!

"The dear Lord picked the time, he (WES) picked the place", Underwater, where his life was!!

The sad fact is that we may never know why he died. Without an eye witness, and many times they don't always see the same thing, videos of the event and all medical reports, it's just not possible to really known. Anecdotally, there seem to be more "mystery" deaths on re-breathers.

If actual toxicology tests were run, and nothing abnormal showed up, it seems like a simple drowning, but we will probably never really know why. A shame, because knowing why might prevent it from happening again. A buddy might have made a difference, but that is just speculation.

This is not the way Wes would have wanted it, the accident OR the follow up reporting.

As always, I am just curious about something. As I am not familiar with certain types or styles of diving, let me apologize in advance for any thing I ask that might offend some one.

Earlier on in the forum is a case of a rebreather diver at Dutch Springs, who I believe was saved by the quick actions of his partner, who just happened to be his 15 year old daughter. Had she not have been there, or any partner for that matter, I believe the outcome would have been far worse.

What bothers me is that, it appears that in some instances for lack of a better word, some of these divers were diving by themselves.

The question begs to be asked , would Wes Skiles be here right now, if his partner were right on him?

It reminds me of another case I believe off the coast of New Jersey, were a young woman was 35 minutes late returning to the dive boat, just to have her body found on the bottom. Would she be here today if her partner was right with her?

The reason I may be a little bias to this issue is for the following, On July 11 of this year my wife suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm. As she was non symptomatic there was absolutely no warning what so ever. Once again, had I not have been home, I am convinced she would not be here right now. Our health care provider stated that 50% of stricken people never make it to the hospital alive. As of this date, she has no side effects, injuries or handicaps from the illness. She is very lucky.

But....what if. What if the same thing had of occurred on our dive vacation, while she was diving? We had a LONG discussion of who I should be watching while diving. My wife was taking pictures and lagging behind the group. I instinctively stayed with her, and as a result lost sight of the group for awhile. When we got back on the boat she told me, in no uncertain terms, that it was my job to keep an eye on the group.

I told her, in no uncertain terms that, " no, it is my job to keep my eye on you ".

Now, what if, I had of kept my eye on the group, lost sight of my wife, and she had been stricken with that aneurysm? I would rather I know what I did, then been thinking of what I might have done.

It just seems to me that, in some of these instances, these tragedy's might have been avoided, as was the one at Dutch Springs, had a partner been there.

Back
Top Bottom