West Hill Pond, Connecticut ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

How's the diving in Barkhampsted reservoir? I work in Bloomfield and drive past it on my way to clients in Watertown. I've always wanted to dive it.

Hey Northeastwrecks,
I was inquiring about this West Hill Pond (in Barkhampsted), but I've never dove the resevoir, maybe someone else on here can comment for us. I would be interested in either one of these 2 places. Shellbird is talking about another reservoir where she lives.

Oops. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. I misread the post.

Besides, I suspect that the local authorities would have a fit if they saw me getting ready to dive in their drinking water.

They allow boats, fishing and swiming on the lower part of the Reservoir, below the dam. They call it Compensating reservoir or Lake McDonough (sp). Iv'e been on it in a boat a couple of times. It might be worth asking the MDC. (Metroploitan District Commission). The water seems pretty clear froom the top.

I dove West Hill last fall. Really nice dive. Vis 15-25 dep on silt. Cool thing is that we saw a ton of lizards of some sort. Not sure the name. Probably salamanders. Tons of old bottles.
we entered at the Boy Scout camp. Easy entry, just ask the ranger. He'll let you park right next to the water. Just be careful of the acorns falling. Like little bombs.

Mitchell once bubbled...
I dove West Hill last fall. Really nice dive.
Great! I took a drive up there on my bike just check it out. Pretty big "pond" actually, more like a small lake. I'm about 45 min. away if you want to dive it in the summer.

michaelp68:
I dove West Hill Pond today and I have to say that it was great.

We entered from the beach at Brodie Park, which is on the east side. Entering the water, we were all enthusiastic and optimistic because the water seemed so clear, unless you were near me where I kicked up all the sand and silt in the world.

We picked a course that would take us west/southwest from the beach toward the "deep end," some rocks only a few feet below the surface and a submerged island (that's apparently due to a damn that raised the water level in 1973).

The water temp was cool but not too cold (at first) and the visibility was about 20 feet.

I didn't see much fish or life, but there was quite a bit of interesting debris and tons of huge boulders.

We ultimately dropped down to 45 feet. (The maximum depth according to the DEP chart is 65 feet.) As we approached that 45 foot depth, the temperature dropped to 50 degrees and the visibility went down to about 5 feet, or zero feet if you were anywhere near the silt I kicked up.

It was a good thing I brought a light for the deeper/darker water. Unfortunately, one of the guys in the group didn't have a hood, so it ended our deeper and colder exploration fairly quickly.

After that, we dove closer to shore for the rest of the dive in the 20 to 35 foot range, explored a bit and really enjoyed. The visiibility remained around 20 feet and it was quite interesting.

Well, we didn't see tons of the lake, but we saw enough that all five us want to go back, and will do so. Several other people in the group saw some schools of fish and also some rather large bass and trout.

Next time, we might rent one of the rowboats so that we can start the dive out near the submerged island and rock pile that rises close to the surface.

It's really a great dive location for freshwater in this area.

Happy diving.

Michael

If you find my black fin it's appx. 25' NE of the beach area drop me a line! :)

Joe E.

Back
Top Bottom