West Palm Beach charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend nobody other than Sandy at Ocean Quest Scuba, all these charter boats go to the same reef, same depths and same conditions. But the atmosphere on Sandy's boat is unmatched. My wife and I have dove with just about everyone in WPB, well we did, but no more, we either on "Sandy's Sunday" or at the bar, If you've got kids I can tell you that we've seen many younger diver's, and we believe that Sandy also has several schools, boy scout and girl scout groups and youth church groups she works with. I would recommend you do a search on SB for "Sandy's Sunday"..that is the name of the boat, very nice, small groups, great snacks and great crew all around. You won't be disappointed. Website is www.oceanquestscuba.com Good Luck and Have a great dive....maybe we'll see you on the boat.

I dove with Oceanquest last year, they were indeed great, but the boat full of spearfishers put me off a little. I would recommend them 150% to hunters. Overall they were safe, professional, and fun, but I don't hunt.

I work at the scuba club. So just to clarify some things: We have two tank trips wednesday and sunday mornings and friday afternoons. The majority of the sites are actually 80-90 feet.

On our two tank trips we typically go for an 80 ft dive followed by a surface interval (which is usually just a boat trip to the next site) The second dive will be around 60 feet. This is just to make the most of our bottom time; plus the surface interval let's us take the trip down to the breaker's reef further south of the inlet.

How old is your Jr diver? We definitely take care of beginner and especially younger divers. If you prefer we have a 16foot deep tank that they can jump in and practice a little. One of the DM's will also take the opportunity to clear up some stuff about diving in the area just so you know what to expect. During the dive we'll take into consideration that it's first ocean dive and make sure your Jr diver is comfortable and has a good time. :)

Also like someone mentioned call ahead and make sure the dive is appropriate. In other words when you call to schedule be sure to mention there's a first timer in the ocean.

MantaRey- Thanks for the clarification on the two tank schedule. I, like many others, was under the impression that Scuba Club only ran one tank trips. I always wanted to try them, but to be honest, the one tank trips put me off. If I might ask- What is the reason they do one tank trips at all when all the other local charters do two tank trips? Is there a large enough niche market in PB of divers who prefer to do one dive per boat trip? I am not trying to be a wise***. I have always been curious about this. The Scuba Club facilities are outstanding and I have always heard great things about your operation (except for that one tank thing).

Lindabluedolphin- You are right, the Sandy Sunday is a spearfishing friendly boat. Actually it is an "every type of diving" friendly boat. Sandy does schedule certain trips specifically for any and all diving interests (spearfishing, photography, beginners, kids trips, wrecks, lobster hunters, etc.). She does advertise these trips acordingly. I don't know about your specific instance, but sometimes the LDS's will accidently book non-hunters on hunting trips. When this happens, she will do separate drops to make sure that everyone is comfortable with their dives and has a great time.

Sandy is awesome with kids. She will do everything possible to make sure your jr. diver has a safe, fun and educational first ocean dive. I do think that the Blue Heron bridge is a great dive idea before you head out a boat trip though. Just make sure that you do it at high, slack tide.

WPBdiver:
MantaRey- Thanks for the clarification on the two tank schedule. I, like many others, was under the impression that Scuba Club only ran one tank trips. I always wanted to try them, but to be honest, the one tank trips put me off. If I might ask- What is the reason they do one tank trips at all when all the other local charters do two tank trips? Is there a large enough niche market in PB of divers who prefer to do one dive per boat trip? I am not trying to be a wise***. I have always been curious about this. The Scuba Club facilities are outstanding and I have always heard great things about your operation (except for that one tank thing).

Not a problem. We do the single tank trips because many of our regulars are locals playing hooky from work or school. There are many out there who like to just take a couple hours from their day to do a dive. Also people have said that they prefer not to do the two tank dives because it is too tiring at the end of the day. And on a day like today (2-4 foot seas) who can blame them. We did a two tank trip today and well, sadly looked like some of the passengers weren't having as great a time during the surface interval. So we try to do something for everyone.

I understand wanting to do two tank trips though. Especially when it comes to those who need to rent most of their gear. It's a lot of money to spend on one dive.

Besides if everyone else is doing two tank dives: where are the people who want to do a single tank dive going? :wink:

WPBdiver:
Lindabluedolphin- You are right, the Sandy Sunday is a spearfishing friendly boat. Actually it is an "every type of diving" friendly boat. Sandy does schedule certain trips specifically for any and all diving interests (spearfishing, photography, beginners, kids trips, wrecks, lobster hunters, etc.). She does advertise these trips acordingly. I don't know about your specific instance, but sometimes the LDS's will accidently book non-hunters on hunting trips. When this happens, she will do separate drops to make sure that everyone is comfortable with their dives and has a great time.

I don't use dive shops to book my trips, I book direct. I scheduled 3 days of diving with her last year. The last day there was some confusion for some reason and the boat was not going out. Not a big deal, I was able to rearrange very quickly. Both days the boat had mostly hunters, the DM even was carrying a spear. I would certainly dive with them again if it were mostly a NON HUNTING trip vs. mostly hunting. Like I said they were a great boat, great crew, professional and very safe.

I'm biased in this since Sandy Brammeier was my advanced instructor, nitrox instructor and divemaster instructor, but when my kids (12 & 16 at the time) expressed an interest in diving, i could think of no one better to take them to for their open water training... and we commuted from NY to do it. I've observed Sandy with junior divers on many occasions and her down-to-earth approach puts new, young divers at ease and instills in them a confidence that's truly wonderful to witness. On my daughter's last checkout dive, for example, a 12 ft Hammerhead swam by our group and I think she would have stayed at the bottom for another 2 hours if she had the air just to see if it would come back but swim closer.

It's true that Sandy's boat is hunter friendly. But as previously stated, it's also just-about-any-kind-iof-diving-including-brand-new-diver friendly as well. Give her a call... (561)776-5974. You'll be glad you did.

See you down there.

It sounds like Pura Vida or Sandy at Oceanquest is the way to go.

FireDiver, What made you go to FL for all of your training(other than the warm blue water)? Coincidentaly I'm also a firefighter and a huge rush fan. Judging by your quote, you are too. Hope you get to see them on the upcoming tour.:)

WPBdiver:

Ah now the secret is out. SC does 2 tank dives. I have been out with them quite a bit, mostly 2 tank trips.
Actually I find the single tankers quite handy. Kinda like squeezing in 9 holes of that stupid game. I can get out and back before the family knows I am gone .
They are a great op, have an awesome facility, but what really really makes them is the staff.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom