Western Caribbean Destinations (have you been there)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have planned a cruise in April 07. The cruise leaves out of Tampa, FL and stops in:

1. Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
  2. Cozumel, Mexico
  3. Belize
  4. Costa Maya, Mexico

I plan on diving in at least two ports. I have never dove at any of the locations. I have snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I am looking for some suggestions and opinions. Please share any experiences that you have had at any of the locations including the dive operations. Thank You:14:

Second the book the dives with the cruise ship. I just did that and booked the dive excursion with the ship. The dive company then that is contracted picks you up at the ship, even if it is late. So there is no chance to miss your dive.

I did the same cruise in 2004. If the ship uses the same operator in Belize as when I went, you'll be happy. This is the operator they were using when I went.
http://www.belizediving.com/
The water in Belize was the clearest I have ever dove. They day we dove, the visibility was in excess of 200ft. We dove a coral reef, and I did a 45 minute dive in 60-110 ft water, and at no time during the dive was the boat out of sight. I felt like I was diving in an aquarium or a bottle of gin.
Someday i want to go back and spend a week, either doing a live aboard, or one of the dive resorts.
Enjoy,
C-Dawg

Many cruise operators do mark up the price a bit, but many people would argue that its worth it for the convenience (i.e. pick up from the dock, etc.)

If you have time, check out Stingray City on Grand Cayman. Its pretty shallow (12-14 ft) but very cool.

They are marked up a bit...I seem to remember a 2 tank dive package cost about $100. You can get it much less, but if you book thru the cruiseline, they WILL wait for you if the diveboat is late getting back. IMHO the extra $20 is well worth it.
C-Dawg

On Princess - run by Carnival, the Belize 2 tank dive was $160. We skipped it at that price and besides, the weather wasn't very good that day for us. Aside from Belize, I would book independent and not think twice. If you use Eagle Ray, ask for Jorge the DM and you'll have a great time!

Belize and Cayman are my favorite destinations and have made numerous trips to both. You will find the best diving off Little Cayman on Bloody Bay Wall where there is a 6 or 7 thousand foot sheer drop off with visibility usually well over 100 feet. I will be in Little Cayman next week. Have fun and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom