Western Caribbean Destinations (have you been there)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did the cruise, it was both a family vacation, and a chance for me to go diving. Therefore, I had to pick a couple to dive, and a couple to hang with family. I chose to dive Coz and Belize, and did family days in Grand Cayman and Costa Maya. I'm glad I chose as I did, as the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya and Stingray City were both awesome to do with family, and the diving in Coz and Belize were incredible.
C-Dawg

I dove in Grand Cayman several years ago, I found all the dive sites good, north side, stingray city or south. Cozumel all the dive sites good. Cozumel are drift dives.

If you want a decent shore dive, within walking distance of your ship is Eden Rock and Devils Grotto. Even though most of the coral is rather worn, Devils Grotto offers some neat cuts and swim throughs. Turtles and Tarpon hang out there and I even saw a rather large Nurse Shark. The shop is very accommodating and there is an easy in and easy out entry point, with a short swim to the reefs. You could easily get in a dive there and still walk around Georgetown and shop and eat. Two dives would be easily done if shopping and eating isn't important.

In Costa Maya, run from your ship to just outside of the port and rent a large tire golf cart; holds four; only about $60 for the day. This is popular, so you have to get there fast. This is fun and independent transportation to Costa Maya and Fisherman's Village. We found a neat little restaurant right along the beach and explored much what the other ship tourists don't see. Diving isn't that great out of Costa Maya.

Belize diving is a must!! Make arrangements through the ship as they are responsible to getting you back on time. If you book independently, you could miss the departure tme --- so sorry Charlie! My $.02

av8er23:
I have planned a cruise in April 07. The cruise leaves out of Tampa, FL and stops in:

1. Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
  2. Cozumel, Mexico
  3. Belize
  4. Costa Maya, Mexico

I plan on diving in at least two ports. I have never dove at any of the locations. I have snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I am looking for some suggestions and opinions. Please share any experiences that you have had at any of the locations including the dive operations. Thank You:14:

ok i dove cozumel....awsome great diving warm clear i was on a princess cruise dove with dive house, belize, again on a cruise grand princess, dove with hugh parkleys, through the ships excursions, great bunch, excellent dives!!! tough decision.......:D

On Princess - run by Carnival, the Belize 2 tank dive was $160

That is totally outragous. I would not think its very had to plan a dive with an outside operator. After all most of the stops are for about 8 hours. I do not think that paying twice the price is worth it even it it saves us an extra 2-3 hours to do something after the dive. Can anyone else share prices incured in the past year? Does carnival publish this stuff somewhere? I saw on their website where it has all the shore activities listed with $, $$, $$$, $$$$ but it would be nice to know exact prices for planning purposes.

av8er23:
That is totally outragous. I would not think its very had to plan a dive with an outside operator. After all most of the stops are for about 8 hours. I do not think that paying twice the price is worth it even it it saves us an extra 2-3 hours to do something after the dive. Can anyone else share prices incured in the past year? Does carnival publish this stuff somewhere? I saw on their website where it has all the shore activities listed with $, $$, $$$, $$$$ but it would be nice to know exact prices for planning purposes.

Not sure who your cruise is with, but for Princess, you can access shore excursion information, including price on their website if you are booked. Princess has a cruise personalizer where you can book excursions ahead of time (120 days out I think) and you'll know the price and reserve the time. The cruise ship used Hugh Parkey's diving op in Belize. There are a few other options, check boards.cruisecritic.com in the Belize forum for some more options....

av8er23:

Well, the cruise ship excursions are usually to Turneffe Atoll for a two tank dive from Belize City at $160 per person. $150 if you book on your own. $10 more to remove the hassel and cost of transportation to the dive operator seems worth it to me.

I have been on cruises with stops in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The first time I booked dive trips on my own (Seasports in Grand Cayman, and Papa Hogs in Cozumel), the second time I booked through the cruise ship (Don Foster's in Grand Cayman, and Aquaworld in Cozumel). The difference between the cruise ship and booking on my own was $20 in Grand Cayman, and $10 in Cozumel. The higher price was negated by not needing a cab to get to the dive operator, and no stress from worrying about getting off the ship in time to meet the dive operator/getting back to the cruise ship on time. I had great operators regardless if I booked on my own, or through the ship. When I booked through the ship, the operators divided the groups by experience, and the DMs led dives that were approriate for each groups experience level.

If you want to see the prices for Carnival's shore excursions, you need to long in under your booking number, and view the shore excursions for your cruise. You will see the price instead of the vague $$$.

Keep in mind we are talking about trips to Turneffe Atoll from Belize City. That's a long trip, and a large chunk of the cost is for fuel. Even if you were staying on Ambergris Caye, trips to Turneffe will run you $150 and up.

You might find an operator on your own that will take you to the reefs around Ambergris Caye for a little less. However, in my opinion the diving is much, much better around Turneffe.

Any luck on using your booking number to get the excursion prices?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom