Wet-Breathing Abyss Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug,

One additional note, Frank (our tech) informed me that your octo is a US Divers, he did not work on this as we are not authorized to.

Regards,

Phil

I got the same combination: Abys + USD (Micra), well, there is an Airlab on it as well but i do not think that matters. No problems whatsoever, this thing breaves like a dream regardless if you go up or down, if you tumble or if you stay put. The only thing I did not try is cheating on it with my girlfriend (and I love it to much to ever try).
Hope you problem got fixed.
Regards.
Nick.
P.S. If you care about how fast and how responsive is the customer care for the stuff you buy, go with MARES (at least for as long as Zack and Phil are there).

This is like where the car is making funny noises, until you get it to the shop, when it quits and runs fine. It's not my mouth technique, because other regs I've used have not breathed wet. Further, it's happened so consistently with the Abyss as opposed to the other regs I've used [Aeres, Scubapro, Aqualung], that it simply MUST be the Abyss itself. Diver's Supply on Grand Cayman once told me they thought this Abyss, being older, might have been warped [or something like that]. I was, of course skeptical, but they could find no fault with it either [they're not a Mares dealer].

Phil -- could it be that I'm not using a proper mouthpiece? It's got a Seacure on it now, and a non-Mares mouthpiece before that. A guy in Cozumel recently told me that he thought Mare regs were touchy and might require actual Mares mouthpieces to eliminate wetness. Could it be as simple as that? If so, could you slap on or include a decent Mares mouthpiece with the reg before shipping?

Well, I'll continue to be optimistic, but the other dive shops that looked at it couldn't find a problem either. And there still was a water in the reg problem. I'll try it out next weekend if it gets back to me in time and we'll see.

Thanks for getting back to me, Phill and Joe, and thanks for taking a look at it. Also, thanks to the other posters for commenting!

DCW
<<fingers still crossed>>

Doug,

I have never heard of Mares regs being touchy, as long as the mouth piece fits properly it should not matter. I am not sure if Frank packed it already, but the Seacure mouth piece (unless attached wrong or moulded wrong) should not cause the problem. I believe the correct Seacure for Mares is Seacure II, please check this. Outside of the US we distribute JAX, so again changing mouthpieces should not cause this unless installed improperly.

Let us know how it goes after you try it out.

Note: Diver Supply Cayman is a Mares dealer.

Thanks,

Phil

Hmm. Maybe it was that the guys I talked to didn't have Mares maintenance experience. Now that you mention it, I think I did see Mares regs in their store. My bad.

Another thought, for those who might be following along. As I have commented before, all the dive shops seem to OK the regulator, but it nevertheless misbehaves when I am underwater at depth. Is it possible that something about the water pressure changes the performance characteristics of this particular device? And in that respect, are there above-water tests that can be done that would recreate a regulator's performance at, say, 60 feet?

Also, I was wondering exactly what Mares's service people do in a "complete overhaul?"

Just wondering, in my continuing quest for truth, justice, and a dry breathing regulator. :11doh:

I do the negative pressure test, although this isn't a 60' test :D Once the reg is on the tank, but before you turn on the tank, try taking a breath off the reg. You should hear the diaphragm bottom out (sometimes a clicking sound) and then you should be sucking a vacuum. If there is a slight draw, then that means that there is a leak somewhere, usually the mouthpiece, diaphragm, or exhaust valve.

If you want to see what it would be like for a reg to fail the test, simply perform the test with the reg off the tank and dust cap off. Some air will move through the first stage and prevent the "sucking vacuum" feeling.

Back
Top Bottom