Wet breathing RG2500/2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I realise this has been asked before but with no real conclusion. I have a RG2015 its about a year old, it breathes great when in horizontal trim but if I look up or down or invert even slightly it breathes wet, I just figured that perhaps it was just how the reg breathed. I have owned and used numerous regs and never noticed it to this degree, I have checked the diaphragm and the exhaust valve all is as it should be as is the mouth piece and zip tie. I have read numerous reports on this and other boards about this issue. The reason Im enquiring about this now is I wish to service my own gear and DR will openly sell service kits. Most of my dive gear is DR and I have been very happy on the whole with all of it, except this little niggle. I have been considering purchasing another RG2500/2015 for ease of service i.e. all same reg same make etc, but I am hesitant to do so if in fact these regs simply breathe wet. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give in relation to this. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the post. Let's see if there are a few things we can do to evaluate before we ask you to send the regulator to us for service. First, can you try diving it with the inhalation resistance knob in various positions? Due to the high performance characteristics of the regulator, it will breathe wet at times when it is dialed all the way open. Also, please check the exhaust valve and see if there is any debris in it. See if the mouthpiece has any holes and ensure that it is tight. Finally, check to see that the diaphragm is seated properly and also has no holes.

If you continue to have issues, we will be happy to evaluate your regulator at the factory. Email Jess at service@diverite.com if you want us to take a look.

Thanks
Kathleen
http://www.diverite.com/products/service/serviceinstructions/

Not to hijack this thread, but this is why I love my Dive Rite gear.
Dive Rite has been very quick to respond to any need I have had.

I have (2) Hurricane's and (3) RG3000's and am a very happy owner.

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

Jim Breslin

Yes I agree always great service. Thanks for the quick reply Kathleen:

"Also, please check the exhaust valve and see if there is any debris in it. See if the mouthpiece has any holes and ensure that it is tight. Finally, check to see that the diaphragm is seated properly and also has no holes"

Yes I have done all the above, the mouth piece is new and I have replaced the zip tie 4 or more times the last time i used one of the ties with the metal insert, they cinch up pretty tight. I removed and shone a torch through both sides of the diaphragm and could see no holes, its seating surface was smooth with no debris. The exhaust valve is clean and the surface smooth with no defects. The valve itself looks to be fine with no signs or wear and appears to be seating properly. So do you think that it could be when I have the inhalation knob all the way out that that may cause it to leak to some degree?

Cheers

PS I live back in NZ so sending it back would be very costly I imagine.

Last edited:
Hi buddhasummer,

Yes, I do think that when you are opening the exhaust valve all the way that it can create some leaks depending on the position you are in. I dived my 3000s this weekend and the dive site had lots of cracks and crevices that I had to crawl up and down, so I cranked my regs down a notch or two and it was no worries.

I hope this helps.

Kathleen

Since no one posted it I will. Close your tank valves, and breathe down your reg. Or put a sealed DIN cap on your first stage. Gently suck on your mouthpiece and see if you can draw air. If so there is a leak. If not then it is sealing. Pretty simple test.

Thanks for the replies, it turned out that the O ring, thanks again Jerry, on the dive/pre dive knob had a crack in it, replaced it went diving yesterday, heaps better but still was a little wet if swimming in "odd" positions, but acceptable, dry when in "standard" position. Thanks again. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom